Fitting a laminate worksurface to a belfast sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post and im quite new to DIY although i am a keen learner.

Im wanting some advice about fitting a laminate worksurface to a belfast sink. I have just replaced all my cupboard doors in my kitchen which now look really good, but im wanting to replace the worktop. its currently a slate wortop over board.

the problem is i have a belfast sink which sits on the bottom edge of the worksurface. If i fit a laminate worsurface im worried it will warp or water will ingress into the worksurface where the cut is made. i will seal the worksurface with the edging strip but will this be sufficent? is there anyother way of sealing the laminate? also whats the laminate like at stopping water penetration from above?

Sponsored Links
Belast sinks are designed to be used with wooden worktops, granite worktops or solid surface worktops - but not laminate tops. Because a Belfast sink calls for an worktop overhang with a drip groove beneath it (or in the case of granite/solid surface a plain silicone sealed joint) and the corner radii of the cut outs are so tight it is highly unlikely that you will be able to use the combination you require. The laminate edging simply won't bend to the sharp radii required in the corners and you will not be able to add a drip groove or adequately seal the underside of the worktop. If you do succeed in installing this combination the edging will have a relatively short life and the top will start to blow within a few years. Were a customer to insist I installed in this manner, I'd turn the job down flat - it's a boomerang job. I suggest that you may need to rethink your strategy.

Scrit

As Scrit says there is no way to undermount a belfast into laminate without a high risk of the core getting wet.

I have seen them where the sink is set above the top and the worktop butts up against th eside of the sink and is then sealed with silicon.

If you want a butlers sink and laminate then you can buy inset butlers sinks

Jason

thanks for the advice might have to rethink my plans. I spent ages routering a plane door to fit around my sink.

Is there any mounts that i could use metallic or ceramic?

Sponsored Links
Why not use timber around the sink only and then laminate on the rest of the kitchen, or fit it in a kind of stand alone style.

But the others were right dont waste your time on this.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back