Installing taps for belfast sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im coming to the end of the long drawn out kitchen refurb Ive been doing (at last) - and will soon be installing the worktops.

Since Im using a Belfast sink, the tap sits in the work surface rather than the sink. Im guessing this would mean that I would need to bolt the tap onto the worksurface before it goes in, and also make sure the feeds to it are attached, and accessible from the cabinet below?

Im a bit worried now in case anything goes wrong with this tap - would I need to remove the whole work surface to get it out!?

Also - in terms of seating a belfast sink, should I be using some kind of silicone sealer between the cabinet and the sink, and then something between the underside of the worktop and the sink? Ive heard some people use grout for this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, tap access can be a real problem, with standard depth worktops and sinks. You often can't take the tap out unless the sink comes out first.

I'd only consider a flexible sealant between sink and worktop, not tile grout. SIlicones don't stick well to oiled wood if that's what you're using, otherwise they're fine.

Seal to cabinet -??? depends on how you're putting it all together.

Thanks,

Ive heard that people use a silicone between the sink and top of the cabinet because the bottoms of these sinks are not actually flat, so the sink rocks slightly from front to back. I'd imagine this would be slightly alleviated if the sink was slightly raised up so that the underside of the work surface actually pushes down on the rim of the sink, but I thought there was supposed to be a small gap between the sink top and the underside of the surface.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back