Fitting a Belfast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has had a new kitchen designed and delivered by a well known company. We have fitted the units but intend to get a kitchen fitter to do the work surface, it's Earthstone by WilsonArt. The kitchen design includes a Belfast sink.

The first fitter contacted has made lots of excuses and seems reluctant to give a price, claiming that he needs to make a jig for the sink.

The next fitter has categorically stated that B&Q should not have put a Belfast sink with this worksurface and that given a short space of time water will get between the sink and the under surface and blow the chipboard.

Has anyone had experience with this type of solid work surface and a Belfast sink?

The top of the sink is flush with the tops of the units, it doesn't stand proud, the edges of the cutout on the worktop with be edged with the 6mm Earthstone material.

Is this a known issue?

B&Q have been contacted are hesitant to admit there might be a problem. They now said that Belfast sinks should be fitted to solid wooden worktops but failed to mention this during the design process.

Please - no comments about "it's your own fault for going to B&Q". That may be the case, but my son is on a very limited budget.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Any undermounted sink with a wood based worktop will always end in tears IMHO.

No matter how much and well they are sealed, water will eventually get in....in five years, even if looked after, chipboard tops will be swollen by the edges...real timber tops will probably be starting to split..

I personally would refuse to fit your tops..

If a belfast sink is non negotiable I would opt for stone or acrylic tops such as Corian... but now you are talking big bucks.

Sorry

EDIT: Sorry I have just Googled Wilsonart..they have a 6mm acrylic top, and 6mm edging as you state.. I would contact the company direct and see what they say..

http://www.wilsonart.co.uk/Wilsonart/contact_us.html

Did you get the worktop from B&Q also? We've just done a our kitchen and found a local independent supplier of worktops could supply far superior worktops at a fraction of the price. It may be worth getting the yellow pages out and seeing if there's one in the area. The beauty of that is that he'd be able to advise you what to get too as he'll know what he's on about - not a given at the big sheds sadly.

Hi Wimpy,

I grew up in Shropshire, whereabouts are you? Can't help you on this I'm afraid. I think the best thing would be to ask another plumber to come out and take a look at it for you and see if they can suggest what your best options are.

Sorry I couldn't be much more use.

Sponsored Links
My siister-in-law has a belfast sink that sits under a melamine covered chip surface with a proper formed three sided cutout for the sink. Unfortunately the cut out was too big so there was a thin strip of the chipboard between the bottom edge of the "turned over" melamine. this soaked up water and the melamine lifted by about 1/4" in about 6 months. The firm came back and re-fitted the wuork surface with the proper sized cut out and pumped the gap underneath full of sillicone. Seems to lasted a couple of years so far.
Frank

My siister-in-law has a belfast sink that sits under a melamine covered chip surface with a proper formed three sided cutout for the sink. Unfortunately the cut out was too big so there was a thin strip of the chipboard between the bottom edge of the "turned over" melamine. this soaked up water and the melamine lifted by about 1/4" in about 6 months. The firm came back and re-fitted the wuork surface with the proper sized cut out and pumped the gap underneath full of sillicone. Seems to lasted a couple of years so far.
Frank
A Belfast sink should only be fitted to a solid work top or you will definatly have problems in the future. I think you will have to buy a standard drop in sink, which there are many good designs out there but if they are set in having a belfast the only option would be to go and get a solid worktop. When I was looking for solid worktop I managed to find a supplier on eBay which was incredibly cheap compared to trade prices I was able to get. I managed to get 3x3m lengths for the same price of a 2m length quoted from a local merchant.

You can get Belfast-style sinks that are not undermounted but have a "lip" on the top that fits over the worktop, like the Domsjo one from Ikea. I have one of those mounted in solid oak worktop and it's fine. I think it would be OK with a laminated worktop too, as the cut surface would be well underneath the sink. A decent bead of sealant under the lip and no water should get at the chipboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back