belfast sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am going to plumb in a belfast sink one which sits on top of a unit.
i am a complete novice and would like any advice you can give. this is a new kitchen in an extention and the water is all ready in situ in plastic pipes. do i use push fit or glued stuff and how do i estimate the drop in the waste pipe. the unit is supposed to fit on a 8oomm base unit from b an q (yes i actually recieved all the kitchen eventually) is this strong enough the sink is very heavy. there will be a dishwasher, is a spiggott on the trap for the waste ok. the work top will be cut after the sink is fitted so will not be an issue. any advice would be great how ever little it is as i dont really know where 2 start lol many thanks

Sponsored Links
supersead said:
do i use push fit or glued stuff
I use solvent welded joints (not "glued", BTW) unless it's clear that later dismantling is likely.

...and how do i estimate the drop in the waste pipe.
Not sure what you mean here, but my advice is to install the sink where you want it, add a trap, and then work out the waste from that point.

the unit is supposed to fit on a 8oomm base unit from b an q (yes i actually recieved all the kitchen eventually) is this strong enough the sink is very heavy.
You should ask B&Q this question.

there will be a dishwasher, is a spiggott on the trap for the waste ok.
It's ok, but less preferable than a trap with upstand.

We have a Belfast sink and B&Q base, and the sink hasn't fasllen through the base yet!
The numpty who installed it fitted the sink too far back on the unit though, so it's impossible to make a tidy job of finishing the joint between the sink and adjacent carcasses, and I can't move it forward because the cutout in the worktop would then be too deep :cry:

To my mind, the edges of the sink would look better if the sink projected about an inch or two forward from the line of the cupboard doors. The one we have has been installed flush.

the fall on the waste should be 2 1/2 degrees, that's 1 in 40 or an inch per metre depending on how you care to measure it.

I would use solvent weld waste if it is inaccessible, but make sure that there is an access point somewhere to clean it out if it does block. Universal compression fittings or push fit can be useful for this aspect.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back