Fitting a solid wood work surface

One coat a day for a week will be fine with Danish oil, then one coat a week for the next month (top etc) then as required to keep it in good condition.

It's important not to put too much on, any excess should be wiped off after 5-10mins otherwise it will sit on the surface and go sticky. Flood any cut ends so it soaks well in but again remove excess after a few mins. And follow the instructions re oil soaked rags!!

The first few coats will likely raise the grain so rub down with a grey csotchbrite pad between coats(looks like a pot scourer) Don'y use wire wool with oak as small strands can get into the wood and react with the tannins giving you black patches.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
........And follow the instructions re oil soaked rags!!............

I've tried to get them to ignite, bet you can't do it either. Falls into the same paronoia bin as asbestos cement. :rolleyes:

Tell me, why is danish oil better than tung oil?

reading over some old posts and came across this:

any other opinions on using a masons mitre with hardwood (in my case bamboo) worktops?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back