Protecting Kitchen Work Top Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! can anyone recommend a product to protect the joints on our kitchen worktop. They are adjacent to the kitchen corner sink and we recently had the Kitchen company re make the joints due swelling caused by water landing on the joint. I wondered if there is anything we can perhaps smear along the joins to protect them for the future. The work surfaces are fitted in place already and are laminate. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen company re-made the joints why are they still porous? They should have sealed them at the time.

The joins next to the kitchen sink lifted due to water getting in despite the fact we were being very careful when using the sink. I pointed out the defect to the company before making final payment and they gave a letter of guarantee saying they thought it wouldn't get worse. It did get worse so before the year was up I got them back and they laid the work surfaces with fresh cuts. They suspected the adhesive had possibly been off. However it has started again in one place and I want to do something to stop it getting worse. We have had enough kitchen disruption and the company are not likely to be co-operative.. the fitter said we were lucky they replaced it and it wouldn't be done again! They actually designed the kitchen so we are disappointed to say the least as it was a good quality kitchen. So basically I'm looking for anyone with any tips to help protect the joints?

Contact you local trading standards office. A letter from them usually gets a result as the firms don't want adverse publicity. Sometimes a letter to the firm threatening this is enough.

Sponsored Links
I was hoping to get around a legal solution if someone had a practical answer. I can see there are very often some innovative solutions on the site :D

Since the company conceded that the adhesive originally used may not have benn fit for purpose, I can't see why the fitter should sound surprised that it needed redoing. More to the point, it may be tha case that the new worktop comes with a renewed guarantee.

Would recommend you chase the company up, since if you do anything to the joint or worktop first, it will invalidate any possible claim against the company.

Thanks for the valid point. I really don't want the confrontation with the company... it can be a stressful thing as we found out last time. However as you say it has already been conceded by the company that they have guaranteed the work and it has failed again. At the moment we put a dry towel over the joins before using the sink. thankfully we have a dishwasher.

Can't think of anything that you can do to the joints to protect them from water ingress without it looking bodged (such as sticking a strip of something over it) or unbolting it from below and splitting it apart and resealing it with proprietary adhesive.

Try the company again - they may be willing to reimburse you something which you can use towards getting a different fitter in to do the work properly. Alternatively, you may accidently burn a hole in the worktop and claim from your insurance for a replacement. Happened to us, and it really was an accident - unattended cigarette fell out of an ash tray and cost us the £50excess for a £400 replacement ;)

Hi Dextrous! Many thanks for your reply and advice. I must admit we are still dwelling on what to do. the confrontation and hassle factors are currently holding us back from making contact with the company. They are a small operation so it is different than dealing with a large corporation. I will update if anyone is interested.

Please do keep us up to speed - always nice to hear of successful closures. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back