Joining 90 degrees solid wood kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just about nearing the completion in fittin g my new kitchen. All that is left is the installation of the solid beech worktop and the sink.

The part that I am not sure about is how to cut and join the two pieces of solid woods together at the 90 degree corner. I had planned to cut the two pieces at 45 degrees (thus having a diagonal joint) and to use a worktop jig to route the grooves for clamping them together using worktop clamps.

But after having read some forum articles, I get the impression that these clamps are laminated tops, and perhaps I need to use biscuit joints.

So could somebody please tell whether I need to use biscuit joints and also whether I should join the 2 pieces diagonally or to use the worktop jig guide (90 degree joint )?

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
catnipsta said:
So could somebody please tell whether I need to use biscuit joints and also whether I should join the 2 pieces diagonally or to use the worktop jig guide (90 degree joint )?

many thanks in advance.

NO, its up to you.

I would use biscuits, and do it at 90 degrees, you only get one chance with a work top

If you have a jig & router and know how to use them, I would go for that, if for no other reason, that is the easiest way.

Having said that, if you feel you are able to cut with the accuratley needed at 45deg this way can look better as the strips SOMETIMES line up, which some people prefer to the strips being at 90 deg to one another.

With all solid wood worktops allowances for movement on the width have to be taken into account, so if you use biscuits do not glue them, it's also better to use a biscuit a size down to the cut made ( you are not making a solid joint but using them for thickness location).

You can still use the clamps but don't tighten them too much, just enough to bring the worktops together, also use a breathable flexable silicon on the joint, BAL make one.

Finally when you come to fixing them to the units, make the hole longer in the unit and don't overtighten and leave the rear fixing out.

Hope this helps, good luck

Sponsored Links
The 1st thing to think of when joining a solid wood worktop is that the wood will expand and contract across the grain far more than along the grain so by joining at 90°, one will expand more than the other causing the joint to fail if glued.
If the joint is cut at 45° then both should expand & contract at the same rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back