Jointing 230mm worktop at 90 degrees, for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom "worktop" (230mm width) that needs jointing at 90 degrees. Is there jigs commonly available to use to create a butt-up/clamped joint as found now regularly in kitchens?

Sponsored Links
Trend do a small one but I don't think it has peg holes for 230mm spacesaving tops.

Just use a kitchen jig, put the pins in for a 600mm top, measure back 370mm and put a mark on the jig, clamp the jig to your top so the marks line up with the end of your worktop.

Jason

Mike - Trend's stuff is top quality tackle but for occassional users there are cheaper jigs to buy, which accomplish the same results - Screwfix or Axminster do their own brands. You can hire a router & jig but be warned they are likely to have been well used; check the jig for damage to the guide ways and only accept one that's got no damage here otherwise you'll discover lumps have been routed out of your w/t. It's false economy to attempt this job with a used cutter.

Good butt & scribe joints, complete with bolt-pockets below, are not straight-forward to produce without good planning/preparation, accurate measuring, steady work bench or trestles (3 or 4), a 1/2" router and the appropriate SHARP tipped-cutter. You'll also need a biscuit jointer and of course the jig and clamps.

Novices will attempt to do the router cut in one pass with terrible results, badly formed edges, lumps missing, etc. 3 passes at gradually increasing depths should produce a smooth, square edge. Always start your cuts at the front edge of the w/t (the curved edge with the laminiate) and emerge at the back of the w/t - this will prevent break-out (splitting off) of the laminate. One cut will be made via the top surface of the w/t, the matching edge of the joint will be cut on the underside of the w/t; you flip it over.

Sponsored Links
I think I will get a joinery shop to do it, its going to be an expensive learning curve to get the right results!
Cheers for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back