Worktop Mitre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting a new kitchen. My brother-in-law is helping, and provided useful tools such as a router and worktop mitre jig.
The problem I have is that he made the first mitre joint in the worktop but I'm not happy with it - there is a slight gap in the join, and the mating surfaces are not perfectly level. The join was sealed with silicon and a colour matching resin provided with the worktop, then pulled together with worktop clamps. Has anyone tried to split such a join? I thought of applying some solvent to the join to try and soften the resin.
If I can split the join without wrecking the worktops, I can clean up the mating faces, insert some biscuits to help keep the joining surfaces level along the length of the join and try again!
Also, is a router with biscuit cutting tool accurate enough for worktop biscuit joints or would you recommend hiring a biscuit jointer.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Roksan said:
The problem I have is that he made the first mitre joint in the worktop but I'm not happy with it - there is a slight gap in the join, and the mating surfaces are not perfectly level.
A lot of worktops are slightly bowed in their width which makes fitting a bit of a b*gg*r at times - and nbetter done by two men than one.

Roksan said:
The join was sealed with silicon and a colour matching resin provided with the worktop, then pulled together with worktop clamps. Has anyone tried to split such a join? I thought of applying some solvent to the join to try and soften the resin.
Yes - the joint can be broken, but you run the risk of chipping the laminate when you break it so try to avoid pulling up at the ends, instead gently lift the joint and try to break it from beneath.

Roksan said:
Also, is a router with biscuit cutting tool accurate enough for worktop biscuit joints or would you recommend hiring a biscuit jointer.
I don't see why it should be any less accurate.

The only thing I'd say is that this is at best a risky job and you've no guarantee of success.

Scrit

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try and split the joint using acetone solvent to try and soften the colorfill, loosen the connecting bolts and push up from the bottom as you suggest.

I think I'll avoid using biscuits as it seems to me they could be a hinderence in aligning the join unless cut absolutely spot on.

I think I'll also just use silicon for the initial join and only use colorfill to fill any imperfections from the top after the join is made. The colorfill sets very quickly and seems like it might prevent the joint from pulling together tightly unless the join is tightened extremely quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back