Cutting and joining worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have purchased 2 lengths of 2m worktop for my garage units and was wondering if I could use a worktop jig and router to trim the edges ready for doing a butt join, and the edges ready for edging strip

This will be my first ever attempt and have purchased a 900mm worktop jig, and thought the garage worktop would be a practice attempt.

Also should I use biscuits and what glue would be best for the join, would D4 glue be ok?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you use counter top connector bolts, you don't need any glue, biscuits et'c. just silicone on the joint faces before drawing the connectors tight...pinenot :)

If you use counter top connector bolts, you don't need any glue, biscuits et'c. just silicone on the joint faces before drawing the connectors tight...pinenot :)

I will be using connector bolts, so just clear silicone will be fine?

Can I use router to make straight cuts?

Sponsored Links
You can cut from either side for straight cut. But then you don't need a jig for that.

Make sure you cut away from the bullnose edge and not toward it or it will shatter the laminate.

You could use biscuits as well as the bolts to align the tops when joining. This is what i do on a straight cut, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Make sure you cut away from the bullnose edge and not toward it or it will shatter the laminate.

You could use biscuits as well as the bolts to align the tops when joining. This is what i do on a straight cut, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Thanks.

Think I will cut it from the back to ensure I don't scratch the laminate, and go from the bullnose end to the back, using 3-4 runs, adjusting depth each go.

Will try without biscuits if it can be done as it will save me buying a biscuit joiner

Just got back and checked which router and bits I have. It's a cheap 1020w 3/8" (think it was from b&q), and trend 1/4" bits. Purchased in my early DIY days, although never used. Can't remmber why I got trend bits which cost me more then the router :p

Will this work, or do I need a 1/2" router?

EDIT

This is the one I have, just branded in the old branding

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...ce-Power-Router-1020W-12389422?skuId=12910126

As you look at the worktops the left hand one will be routed the correct way up, from the front to back. The right hand worktop would be turned upside down and again routed from the front of the worktop to the back.
If you know anyone with a plunge saw and rail (festool ts55 or similar) they could do the cuts for you. These would be good enough to join together without routing. You'd then have to use a router to create the pockets for the worktop connectors though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back