Worktop joining strips for roll edge (top and bottom)

25 Aug 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need to make a simple 90 degree butt joint between two lengths of laminate worktop. The worktop is 38 mm thick and has a roll edge (top and bottom edge).

I've found worktop joining strip, but it seems most suited to worktop with only the top edge rounded over. Is a suitable joining strip available - i.e. one to accommodate the radiused edge on top and bottom, and if not what would you suggest?

I think a standard strip might look wrong, but if anyone has used one and think it looked okay, please let me know. I'd prefer not to use a router jig unless it's my only option.
Sponsored Links
Looking on the 'net, I think this worktop may be described as bull-nose.

On a separate, but slightly related matter, would I be right in thinking that when cutting worktop to length, it would be advisable to cut oversize using my circular saw and then finish to length with a router and straight-edge?
I've never seen a bullnose worktop but joining strips dont go all the way round so you should be alright although they always say"council house" to me.
You can use a circular saw but cut the worktop upside down and feed into the front edge.
Sponsored Links
I used a "standard" joining strip in the end and it looked perfectly acceptable. As for cutting the worktop, in the end I used a panel saw to cut slightly over-size and then trimmed the cut using a router. It gave a perfect finish. I also used a router and a homemade jig to cut a rounded corner on one piece to make a breakfast bar and I'm delighted with the end result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local