kitchen worktop jointing square edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to do s joint on a square edge laminate worktop.

Ive seen a video where a kitchen fitter heats up the edge of the worktop and strips it with a chisel , then sands the glue away and joins it.

It looks quite easy, is this the best way ?

I will still need a router to cut the channels for the clamp bolts, will a cheap £25 palm router be ok for that ?

Do I need to get a jig for the clamp channels ? or is there another way please ?

Sponsored Links
You need both a jig and a router capable of taking a guide bush, although there's no reason why you couldn't make the jig from MDF. A 600 watt 1/4 in trim router is going to be slow going with many, many shallow passes needed rather than the 2 or 3 passes you need with a heavy 1/2in router. Out of interest before the days of jigs we used to drill the dog bone holes carefully with a Forstner bit then cut the grooves for the threaded rods with a fine tooth tenon saw, cleaning out with a chisel

thanks for that,I might try the drill and tenon saw method.

Some colorfill was included with the kitchen, should I use that instead of pva to waterproof the joint ?

Sponsored Links
thanks for that,I might try the drill and tenon saw method.
It's important to use a drill which will make a flat bottomed hole whilst having almost no point, hence the Forstner bit. Recently saw the resulting mess when someone tried doing it on the cheap (and you need something like a 35mm Forstner to do the job) and used a spade (flat) bit instead (they have long pilot points).... it took more than Colorfill to mask the holes produced by the drill point!

Yes, you can use Colorfill to seal the joints but it isn't an adhesive as such

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ive actually got a forstner bit I used for that years ago.

Do I need to get a reverse tooth jigsaw blade to cut the sink and hob, looked at a couple of vids but that wasnt mentioned.

Horrid things. They never ever cut straight (perpendicular to the worktop surface) in my experience. I cut mine out with a plunge saw and rail, but an ordinary circular saw with a fine tooth blade cutting from the underside works almost as well, albeit more slowly

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back