How can I protect Kitchen Worktop Joins ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I was looking for some advice please relating to a kitchen we had installed 1 year ago. The laminate worktop has a join either side of our corner sink and already the fitters have replaced the worktop to renew the swollen joints (despite us being extremely careful to wipe any water away). Now with the worktops refitted it hasn't taken long before the first area off join has been affected by water and is slightly swollen. Can anyone suggest some kind of preventative measure to help keep water off the joints. The fitters did use silicone as far as I am aware. I thought maybe some see-through tape or applying silicone on top to re-seal any gaps (obviously water has seeped in somehow). The company designed the layout with corner sink!

Sponsored Links
Hi,
when i fitted my worktops (laminate) I first finished the cut edges and joint pockets with varnish to seal them.

The joints were then made using a proprietary jointing compound made for the job, you can get it from Wikes in various colors. applied properly it fills the joints completely and they become almost invisible.

The joints were still perfect after several years.

Hi Nigel (?)

Many thanks for your reply. Your reply contained good advice... if only I could have passed it on to the company before they re made the joints. I wanted to ask if there is anything to put on or over the joints after they are re-fitted in place (they were re-fitted a couple of months ago). For example lightly running some silicone/sealant over the top of the joints; using the compound you mentioned from Wickes over the joints or plain translucent tape! I basically want to do some preventative treatment before more water finds its way in the joints. I hope you can recommend something to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back