Conti edgie strip / sealing worktop joins & base units.

FD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Conti-board edging
I'm putting up white melamine conti board shelving in a back room. Could someone advise what's the best way to prime and seal the cut ends before applying the edging strip.
I don't have the edging strip yet but it'll probably be iron-on. The shelving might take a bit of battering.
Also have to refit edging strip on kitchen unit at sink
Would PVA be up to it (the shelving, not the sink)
Evo? Or what kind of thinned down non water-based adhesive?

Kitchen worktop water ingress
Had a kitchen installed several years ago and the kitchen installer has sited the joins in the worktop quite near to the sink. There has inevitably been some water spillage on the worktop, ingress to the (biscuit) joints and some of the joints are starting to buckle. It there anything I can apply over the joins to seal them, like thinned out silicone?

Kitchen units water ingress at base
Any solutions for sealing the bottom of the units where they stand on the floor. Water ingress has swollen the chipboard and I'd like to prevent or minimise further water damage. Some of the kickplates are water swollen too, where the installer didn't put edging strip on.
I tried drying out the chip and floor area and aoolying silicone sealant but to no avail.

Kitchen skirting water ingress
Before I start fitting skirting, what is the best way to treat the wood? He wants it plain timber, not varnished. It is not expensive timber.

Sponsored Links
I just use a belt sander on conti to give a good surface to glue too [edging is usually iron on so need no primer] though I prefer the clip on edging for conti.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pLtWdhVfA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3aUn1c8xdA&feature=related
Sound like it's time for a new kitchen, only cheaper or older units sit on the floor , mainly sit on plastic legs.
And new work tops, joints should have been sealed at installation.
Skirting can be oiled [Danish oil] if he want a natural look, whoever he is :?:

• Thanks
Reactions: FD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back