Poor worktop join - any hope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a kitchen "fitted", by someone who was recommended to me, but doesn't appear to have a clue what he was doing. He spent most of the time whining about how difficult the Axiom worktops are to work with. Most of his bodges I've solved myself, but the problems are the worktops - specifically edging strips and joins.

The edging strips are a mess - chipped, ragged edges, glue visible all round except for underneath where it overhangs. Again, cue more moaning about how they aren't the easy iron-on type and you have to trim them down. :rolleyes: They've been Evo-stik'd on - presumably these can be pulled off, clean up the cut end, and re-do with new edging by a competent person. Luckily the Axiom worktops come with excessive amounts of edging.

The joins concern me more. He managed to break his jig, and so the mitres have been cut by hand. Fair play to him, it's near perfect on plan. Vertically though, it varies between a slight ridge at the front, to 1.5mm at the back. I'm really concerned about the longevity of it, either through water ingress or chipping.

It's been Colorfilled (1 tube for both joints), and then bolted underneath, no biscuits or other glue. Is there any chance of undoing the joints and getting them re-fixed level, or will the cut edges be knackered?

Sponsored Links
For the edging strips, consider those anodised aluminium ones that are screwed into place....the big sheds stock them.
As for the mitre joint, best leave well alone, I think....disturbing it wouldn't be too good. Keep it as dry and clean as you can and see how it goes.
John :)

Masons mitres can be taken apart if they haven't been siliconed or glued in anyway equally the edging strips can be removed and redone. However, you will need someone whom knows exactly what they are talking about, don't even attempt to do it yourself.

Masons mitres can be taken apart if they haven't been siliconed or glued in anyway equally the edging strips can be removed and redone. However, you will need someone whom knows exactly what they are talking about, don't even attempt to do it yourself.

Sponsored Links
i use this stuff for my masons mitres,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab23sDHhUfE

i too cut these by hand.if there is a step between the 2 then he hasnt spent the time making sure they are level.
i have had problems in the past where the board has been cupped and no matter what i done i couldn't get it perfectly flat,but thats once in a blue moon.

Nice one gregers I had never heard of this product, shall be putting it on the shopping list, cheers.

np.once youve used it,you wont go back to colorfil.
last year i had to join 3 worktops together,being used as a work desk.carpet layers came in and removed ALL supporting legs.boss turns up and gives them a boll.... er telling off and gives me a ring to get my backside round to the job.i was well impressed the tops were just hanging there :LOL: not 1 crack or split,really is good stuff.

The second kitchen fitter was able to put everything right without issue.

The Colorfill on the join wasn't really doing anything - as soon as the bolts were undone (not even done up tight, as it turns out), the pieces of worktop pulled apart easily, needing just a bit of cleaning up. They've been redone with biscuits and are pretty much perfect.

Edging strips have been redone. Again, rubbish job first time - the Evo-stik'd edges pulled off and there was hardly any contact. This time they've been taped on, and are flush with the worktop.

The run of units with the sink and electrical sockets in the back weren't attached to the wall at all. The whole lot could be moved, helped by the fact that most of the intermediate legs weren't touching the floor.

To top it all off, the door for the integrated fridge needs replacing thanks to the original muppet having drilled right through the J handle at the top, and putting the bottom fixings in completely the wrong place. I guess the dimensioned diagram from the manufacturer was too difficult to follow.

Lesson learned. Always use somebody who's previous work you can see, no matter how good the recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back