Joining Worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got some new laminate worktops and wondered what is best to put between the joins, I've sealed all the exposed edges with neat pva.

The corner has a masons mitre joint and there are 2 butt joins aswell, they are all routed out underneath and I've got the fittings for them I just wondered what I should use between the joints, clear silicon or is there something better?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can't seem to find colorfil to match the worktops we have, there sherwood oak and the company we got them from doesn't list a colorfil for these worktops

Natural wood always has variation in colour. If you can't find a match pick a colour in a similar hue (e.g. similar redness or blueness,etc), and darker rather than lighter, and it should be fairly unobtrusive - because there should be almost no gap at all which is properly pulled together. Don't select based on names as they are often misleading

What's definition of too tight and why not?
Because like natural wood they can expand and contract. If you tighten too much the mating surfaces will push upwards and you will feel a ridge develop. I would tighten to where you feel the resistance of the edges butting up and then give it no more than an extra quarter of a turn. If a gap develops after a while you can always nip it up a bit more, but if a ridge develops because you overtighten to begin with you will not be able to press the ridge back down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back