Joining wooden kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken delivery of the worktops for my new kitchen, two lengths 3m x 600mm x 26mm in Acacia wood from Homebase. I chose wood because, although it is much more expensive, I figured I could join it using a butt joint with the tools I have rather than the expense or difficulty of a masons mitre. (Silly me! :( )

I was expecting the worktops to have square edges all around, but these have one half-round edge. I have enough width to trim this off and put it at the back where any residual radius will be covered by the tiles. But the other edge is not square enough to make a butt joint, i.e., it's square but the edges aren't sharp. I guess that the standard of the edge is what would normally be expected, so there is no point in trying to get replacements.

It seems as if I will have cut to into the edge of one top to get it square. Can anyone tell me how this is best done? How do pros get these neatly finished butt joints?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Scrit,

From what I read there and other places on the web it would not be sensible to use a mason's mitre. But one possibility would be a 45 deg mitre across the corner, although I don't know how difficult that would be to cut accurately. I've got a circular saw (and an O-level in Woodwork from over 50 years ago!), but I haven't tackled anything like that before.

In the meantime I've been getting on to the supplier, and getting the usual runaround. It seems they now supply all wooden worktops with rounded edges, so they can't replace them. At the moment I'm torn between trying to get a refund and buy elsewhere or make do with what I have.

you can get those "lovely" :rolleyes: joining strips with the rolled edge on one side and flat on the other

ooo sorry thought not ;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I've got some spare ones of those! They came from the kitchen I've just ripped out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back