Swollen kitchen worktop above integrated dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I left the tap dripping overnight onto a baking tray which flooded the kitchen work top. Water has seeped under the worktop above the integrated dishwasher and it has started to swell, so much so that dishwasher door won't close now (see attached photo). The swelling is at the bottom of the worktop and thankfully the laminating on the top hasn't swollen.

I was wondering how it could be fixed? Chizel out the swollen chipboard, and cover with heat reflective aluminium tape? What would you recommend?

worktop-swollen-above-dishwasher.jpg

Sponsored Links
get ready to replace the top any actions now will be temporary
it may last weeks or months you cant tell

get ready to replace the top any actions now will be temporary
it may last weeks or months you cant tell

Hmmm that doesn't sound good :(

I've lowered this dishwasher and pulled it out to let it dry (as per the photo). Would chizeling off the damp chipboard, sealing with unibond and adding aluminum tape help?

yes it is essential to not use the dishwasher till its done as above a dishwasher is the most hostile place under a worktop

it can take several weeks for it to dry and it can still crack or fail in the meantime

Sponsored Links
If the top had been sealed at installation as recommended then this problem would not have arisen. Foil tape is ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back