Wet kitchen worktop problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our kitchen has been fitted for over a year now. It has a chipboard work top with a black marble look laminate. When we wash up water gathers under the work top (at the front) and has penetrated the chipboard making it swell. I'm worried that it will eventually damage the laminate. At the monent we use a towel to stop the water dripping round but whats the best sealent i can get to stop this happening?

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that water is getting under the sink front? The cut-out should have been covered in silicone before the sink bowl was fitted.

If you can get to it squirt silicone under the sink bowl. If not, get it as dry as you can and fill the gap (that fills with water) with clear silicone.

Sorry, should've made it more clear. No, the sink has been sealed and is fine. I dont know how she does it but when my girlfriend washes up water always finds itself splashing out of the sink and down the fron of the kitchen units. When it does this it also gets underneath the worktop and the front and is causing it to swell up. I wanted to put a varnish of some kind just under the worktop but didnt know which one to get.

Oh right. Any oil based varnish will do.

Sponsored Links
run a bead of silicone between the worktop and the top of the cabinet at the front. there should be a cross member going across the front of the unit underneath. that with the varnish should do the trick

Why waste money on a dishwasher when he already has one? ;) Surely a tin of varnish and a quick admonishment would be cheaper! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back