Kitchen worktop, distorting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently I'm my kitchen where two prices of laminate meet I could see that they are starting to swell up.

I thought it was water damage form cleaning down and it going between the gap.

I put a glass worktop protector on tom of the join and moved it today and it looks worse. It doesn't appear to be wet, not really in a position to replace the laminate so wondered if there's any fixes or reasons as to why I happened in the first place.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_163511.jpg
    IMG_20230713_163511.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230713_163517.jpg
    IMG_20230713_163517.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
...not really in a position to replace the laminate so wondered if there's any fixes or reasons as to why I happened in the first place.

The reason why is simply that the joint was not properly sealed, and because of this water has entered the joint and csused the chipboard core of the worktop. Once blown, there is no going back - the worktop is scrap. Unrepairable.

The design of the worktop has some bearing on how well the joint holds up. For example unsupported joints and joints where the sink is adjacent to the joints are obvious examples of where joint failure is more likely. You haven't posted a wider angle photograph, so unfortunately it is impossible to say whether there are other factors in this failure.

In the short term about the only thing you can do is to seal the joint with something like silicone. Ugly.

Get some edge trim the same as the surface. Score the top either side of the joint equal to the width of the trim. Chisel/scrape/rout out the laminate surface, prep the core with some filler, glue down the edge strip. If need be, fill joints with sanitary silicone or coloured joint filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back