worktops/sink/cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never fitted worktops or a sink before but I'm fairly competent with simple joinery and plumbing, so I'm about to spruce up my tired early 90s kitchen with some new worktops and a new sink, and put a coat of paint on the cupboards.

First question: when cutting out the hole for the sink, should you cut into the worktop from the underside or the laminate side? I've seen contrasting opinions on this.

Second, my cupboards have a laminate finish, on which I would assume you can't use ordinary interior paint. What kind of paint should I use? I've seen a melamine primer recommended online, and presumably this will take coats of ordinary eggshell paint.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've never fitted worktops or a sink before but I'm fairly competent with simple joinery and plumbing, so I'm about to spruce up my tired early 90s kitchen with some new worktops and a new sink, and put a coat of paint on the cupboards.

First question: when cutting out the hole for the sink, should you cut into the worktop from the underside or the laminate side? I've seen contrasting opinions on this.

Second, my cupboards have a laminate finish, on which I would assume you can't use ordinary interior paint. What kind of paint should I use? I've seen a melamine primer recommended online, and presumably this will take coats of ordinary eggshell paint.

Thanks

use a good quality jigsaw and blades Bosch or the like,break-out will be minimal,but it is possible to buy jig-saw blades with reverse teeth.

Cheers. So its OK to cut into the worktop from the underside as long as you use the right tools?

Cheers. So its OK to cut into the worktop from the underside as long as you use the right tools?

I always like to work from the face especially with jig-saws,the blade can wander a lot and you want to know whats going on in the face.

Sponsored Links
asabove i too cut from the face,i use masking tape and plot my line all the way round,DONT FORGET DO NOT MEASURE FROM THE OVERALL SIZE OF SINK, ;)
the blades you want are called downcutters as said this eliminate chipping,but if using tape and you allow the saw to do the work rather then forcing it it shouldnt splinter too much.

I usually mark the 4 corners on the top of the worktop. Drill through at 90° (with a 3/4" bit) ,then use my plunge saw and guide to cut between the holes. Then finish the cuts off with a jigsaw. Takes around 5 -10 minutes (including marking out time) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks all, your expertise is very much appreciated. Will probably purchase worktops and sink next week, and sally forth into the fray. Watch out for me again on the DIY Disasters forum. :0)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back