Solid Wood Worktop Installation when bowed

As an update I took the the joints apart and left the worktops unfixed in situ. I used a couple of straight lengths of wood as battons and placed these across either the bowed or cupped areas. Another offcut of worktop on the top and some more weight on top of that. Gradually over the last couple of weeks the worktops now are level and sit directly on the cabinet tops without any packers.

I'm ready to refix the joints and fix them to the cabinets now. I'm reading differing advice on whether to use silicon or PVA for the butt joints. Instructions that came with the worktops say to use PVA.

I am guessing people will stick to what has worked best for them in the past. My only query with PVA though is that is the joints move again over time then surely it's going to be more difficult to bring them back in line again if they have been glued together. Where as silicon will come off fairly easily.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Daz

Sponsored Links
PVA will provide a stronger bond, but will not flex if the worktops try to expand (so the bond will shear or small splits will appear).

Silicon will more easily lose bond adhesion over time with wood, which may allow moisture into the joint if not rectified.

So pro's and cons to both.

Personally I would use silicon, and keep a carefull eye on it for failure that will let water in.

PVA will provide a stronger bond, but will not flex if the worktops try to expand (so the bond will shear or small splits will appear).

Silicon will more easily lose bond adhesion over time with wood, which may allow moisture into the joint if not rectified.

So pro's and cons to both.

Personally I would use silicon, and keep a carefull eye on it for failure that will let water in.

Great! Thanks for the advice!!

Sponsored Links
I would have thought biscuit jointing might help. Its a shame (to my eyes) that the the surfaces are just butt jointed and not jointed like laminates normally are (with a mitred angle on the first few inches)...I think what you have looks very ...... clumsy-looking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back