warped maple worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I have fitted a new kitchen and now just have to fit the Maple worktop. I have cut out for the sink and hob but have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

The kitchen is an 'L' shape so I have one joint that I am goint to Butt. I was going to screw and glue a couple of pieces of 2x3 under each end of the worktop, leaving a couple of mm gap and bolt these together as I don't have a template for worktop bolts. Would this be a problem?

Also I have read in a few places that it is good to seal any unseen edges, and the blue waterproof evostick PVA has been recomended a few times, I have tested this on an off cut and it seems fine - is this a good idea?

And lastly, the end of the worktop seems to have bowed slightly where I am going to make the joint, it rises about 1mm in the middle and drops about 1mm at each side below the other sectoin of worktop. I have not oiled or applied anything to the wood yet and there is no water running in the kitchen so it has not got wet. It is not even fastened down yet. I was going to fit it so the ends are level and sand the middle so it fitted flush. Will this work, is there a problem with the worktop?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back