Window Sill - Replace or Repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a sash window that I want to fit into an extension we're having built but before it can be fitted it needs some renovation work done on it.

I can't decide whether to attempt a repair or just bite the bullet and replace the sill. As the window is already out it feels like I should probably replace it but I'd be interested to know what more experienced people would do. My concern is that rot has clearly eaten one corner but it appears to have run all along the bottom as well.

Assuming you all suggest replace where can I pick up a bit of sill like this without it costing the earth? The sill that is there is pine. I'd normally go with hard wood but this window has easy access for repairs so it's not that important.

The size seems to be be a bit unusual as it's 160mm deep (front to back) and 70mm high. It seems to have been made from two pieces of timber splined together at the step. I think I could probably fit a single 145 / 150 mm deep sill though if I could find someone that stocked it.

The rest of the sash seems to be in fairly good shape, just the bottom of that one lining that needs cutting back and replacing.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
if the rest of the timber is in good condition,then why not remove the rotten bits hit it with a wet rot/wood hardener and then do a resin repair?.

I've only taken the really soft outer layer of rot off. What you see there is still quite spongy. A wood hardener would probably work on it though. What concerns me is the line of rot that has run from side to side about an inch back from the drip line, I have a feeling that will keep spreading and be difficult to stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back