Replacing external window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the windows in my house are aluminium frames with double glazed panels. They look ok, and I have always kept the wooden outer frames treated every few years, but they are really cold to touch on the inside compared to the PVC-U windows in the conservatory. I suspect this means they are not very efficient at holding the heat in the house; hence I am looking to replace them. To match with the conservatory I have decided that white PVC-U would be the best replacement. I am going to go the DIY+LABC route as two of the window openings will be changed which I suspect will need notifying and BRegs approval. Having helped to build the conservatory I am happy with the process of fitting the windows, but I have a question about the external sills.

I have tried to describe the problem, but if I am not clear please let me know.

The existing external sills are a full brick height in depth, and consist of three stacked layers of angled tiles, then painted. It looks like the top edge nearest the window frame is then built up slightly with mortar to give a flat top surface, which the hardwood outer frame of the window sits on. By comparing the height of the inner wooden sills and the outer tile one it seems the inner wall is a brick course higher than the outside before the inner sill is fitted.

The PVC-U windows I fitted in the conservatory had integrated external sills screwed to the bottom of the window frame before fitting. The back of the sill was then roughly level (hidden) by the inner wooden sill fitted in the room, so the inner and outer sills were the same finished height.

This would rule out using PVC-U sills as the inner wooden sills would have a finished height above the bottom of the PVC-U frame (obscuring part of the glass). I guess I need to buy windows without sills and fit to the existing tile sills.

Hopefully with the diagram that makes sense.

Now I am fine with reusing the existing sills, except that two of the existing windows have hardwood sills that are part of the outer frames, and as mentioned I will be changing the opening sizes of two windows. I don’t want to use PVC-U sills and then make up the 50mm height with mortar as I think that would look awful. I think the only acceptable option would be to replace all of the sills with new to finish at the same height as the inner sills less about 10mm. However I have no idea how to do this...

I would love to use tiles as they look good but how are these done? Are they special angled tiles that easily stack together to form the sills, or is it something that needs a skilled tradesman to create? How would you tackle this if it was your house or a job you were working on?

Sponsored Links
You need to buy creasing tiles to form tiled cills, although small plain roofing tiles have been used. There should only be 2 courses of tiles and not 3. The easiest way to build them is to firstly fix a batten to the wall to support the first course of tiles. Then bed in the second course and point in the top between the tile and the frame.

My 1947 house has tiled sills - 3 rows of creasing tiles. When I had my extension built the builders managed to match the new openings to the old, using tiles.

I bought the windows with a height 75mm less than the opening and fitted them - the builders installed the tiles into the openings, then I silicone sealed the gap. If the builders hadn't been here I'm sure that I could have done a reasonable job on my own.

No drama!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back