Window too narrow to drill for fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
uPVC window too narrow to get drill and bit in to drill for side fixings.

What the jury's verdict on just sticking it in with expanding foam (specifically Screwfix exapnding sticky foam)?

I may be able to put a frame fixer through the cill.

The head is also difficult as I don't really want to drill into the concrete lintel.

Sponsored Links
photos might help

I'm guessing this is a fixed (non-opening) wndow and the glass unit is alreadt fitted and you don't know how to remove it.l

It's fixed but the glass is not fitted. I don't see your point. The width between the sides is not enoght to get in with drill and bit.

Anyway I took out the much larger window in the same room (~1800x1200) and that was held in by...foam! LOL Just two brackets on one side. Replacement is in and fixed properly :)

So, I'm not going to lose any sleep in using foam for the small one.

My mistake.

I thought you posted your thread hoping to get some replies.

Obviously not.

Sponsored Links
Hi Andrew, I was a fitter for 25 years and this problem occured occasionally. You can now get bolts that will drive straight in to the mortar, which may work as a cordless and the bolt is far shorter than an sds. Our solution was to wedge the window in position ( only at the corners or you will bow the frame). Ensure wedges are as tight as possible!
Also the wedges should be slightly shy of the outer face of the window ( I recommend masking the frame ). Then using an expanding foam to seal around the window. There are foams that are suitable for window fitting that do not expand too far which will cause the frame to bow. If it is a fixed light it is better to glaze before using the foam as the packers used around the glass will stop the frame from bowing. If it is an opening vent take a little more care applying the foam. Let the foam set then trim of any excess. Finally seal with a suitable sealant ( Screwfix no nonsense frame sealant is as good as anything ). I have removed windows that have been held with silicone that have been a real pain to remove, and every window that I have ever removed that has had foam around it I have had to cut around the foam before it would push out of the opening. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back