Window won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1990.JPG
IMG_1991.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG
I can't open a bedroom double glazed window even though the handle is in the open 9 o'clock position. When I move the handle it feels quite loose and can hear the mechanism working but it won't go all the way down to the shut position. I've tried WD40 and a different handle but neither made any difference. I've also looked at another window open and can see the top of the mechanism goes up into the two slots and the bottom goes the opposite way but I would have no idea how to free to actually get the window to open.
Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Getting them open when the mech jams is quite tricky.
Basically you will want to take the glass out first so you have more flex and can bend the window a bit.

If that has already scared you get someone in to do it (ask some local double glazing company's)
If you are up for a go post back here and we can try to talk you through it (always a slight chance of killing the window though)

I am of course assuming they are not still under guarantee?

Hi, many thanks for the advice and I wouldn't be confident of doing it myself even with guidance so I will probably have to get somebody In

I'm going to ask a stupid question - did the window open as normal previously?
I only ask because one window in our house does not open with the handle at 90 degrees - it's more like 45 degrees because of how the mechanism was fitted on the frame side.

Sponsored Links
Yes it opened like normal for the last few years that we've lived here and only noticed it when trying to open in the spring after not being used over the winter months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back