windows 7 32 or 64bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just brought a new sony laptop. i have the choice to have 32 or 64bit win 7 on. which would you choose? i use it for internet surfing etc. is 64 bit better in the longrun?
thanks

Sponsored Links
go for the 64, otherwise you will not be getting 100% out of your hardware...

they seem to be phasing out the 32Bit version anyway.

I'd go for 64bit. 64bit will run 32bit programs, and as mentioned means for the operating system at least you'll get more out of the hardware. Not only that but at present there are very few 64bit viruses and I believe no 64bit rootkits. Though that doesn't mean 32bit viruses wont run. So technically its more secure.

I wouldn't say they are fazing 32bit out as such as many programs are still 32bit with no intention of changing just check out your x86 program folder! but it is the future.

What memory do you have installed currently?
What is the maximum your motherboard can support?

If you're working with large files or running applications that consume a great deal of memory,
then 64-bit Windows will typically give you a slight performance advantage over 32-bit Windows running on identical hardware.

64-bit Windows 7 supports more physical RAM than 32-bit Windows 7 (192GB on non-Home versions vs. 4GB for any 32-bit flavour).

So 64-bit is the way to go - however, as you already have the laptop I'll assume it comes with 2-4GB of memory?

Probably means you will have to fork out money to expand the system memory on a brand new machine for a slight perfomance difference for surfing.

May not be worth the expense.

Homer

Sponsored Links
as mentioned the 64 bit will allow windows to see more memory.

It is worth noting that if your graphics are 1gb then windows 32bit will only be able to see 3 gb of the system ram regardless of how much you have.

On a laptop you are unlikely to upgrade the graphics card but on a pc if one put a 2 gb card in you would be left with only 2 gb of system ram.

I'd suggest you also look at all the programs and hardware you are using / going to use. Some of the older stuff does not work with 64, so it costs more to use in the short/medium term..

i haven't found anything yet that wont work.

I have however found things that wont work with W7 because it is w7 rather than it being 64 bit

fair enough, just seem to have seem less and less 32 bit O/S in the flyers from suppliers....

the only bit of kit I have had a problem with (and still am) is my graphics tablet, but it is on the older side, might just buy a new one!

I was pleased to find that my old intuos 3 tablet was happy to play with my new laptop. All i needed was the new drivers

Sponsored Links
Back