Windows XP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ,

I have windows xp on my computer its about 16 years old but still works ok except I can no longer watch video clips think it was something to do with Adobe ?? Not sure.

Can anyone advise on a suitable video link I can download please ?

Sponsored Links
Adobe flash was retired on jan 1st.

I wouldn't recommend connecting a winXP or win7 machine to internet. Whilst you might not perform or store anything sensitive on the machine itself, malicious code could move sideways on your home network and upset other devices or documents. Use XP offline if you must.

Win7 can be freely upgraded to Win10 if you can get a cheap win7 copy.

Sponsored Links
XP was my favourite OS , not the bloated mess they produced now..

XP was my favourite OS , not the bloated mess they produced now..
I agree. And the worst (in my opinion) was Vista.
It's a shame they didn't leave it alone at XP. Naturally, it's good to update virus protection, etc, and drivers, though.

Most people think of Windows as a consumer product, but it's not. It's designed, built and sold for work purposes.

Managing Vista platforms, or the reskinned Vista that was called Windows 7, was much easier. But they're so old now they should be allowed to die off peacefully, old OSs are like old cars, lovely to reminisce about but rubbish to live with.

May I suggest you try 'Linux' on your existing machine.

you can make a 'live' copy on a USB stick, get your PC to boot to USE first, not hard drive and try out Linux via that.
if you like it you either make your computer a Linux only machine or a little more complicated 'Dual Boot'.

Linux is Free and the support community huge.

I've always fancied a got at Linux, problem is all our diagnostic programs are tied to Windows OS.

I am still running W2000, XP and Windows 7, as well as Windows 10, in order to run legacy SW that I still need.

I run them as virtual machines under VirtualBox on Ubuntu on a Core i7 machine with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD, performance is great.

All internet access is done with Ubuntu, apart from Windows 10 when I need to use a Windows machine online.

The Adobe-related video issue is likely to be related to Adobe Flash which is now discontinued.

Most sites will have moved towards HTML5 etc for delivering video.

That said, Windows XP is no longer even supported by modern browsers e.g. Google Chrome, Firefox etc.

Unfortunately your operating system is no longer secure and really behind the functionality curve of modern software.

As is Windows 7 which superceded it!

The best scenario of course would be to get a new computer I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Back