Wiper Blabe Arm bent in the sun ?

C

Coniferman

Ford Fiesta

Got home to find my 2 front wiper blades totally off the windscreen and in the air. I thought someone had lifted them as you would when cleaning the windscreen.

However on closer inspection, the thin flat metal part of the arm has bent almost 30 to 45 degrees to the extend that the blade is totally of the windscreen. They are NOT even in the lifted up position.

My first thought was that some little vandal had been having some fun however judging by how it is bent, I don't think so. The metal is actually curved!!

I can only assume it has happened because of the sun. The car has been sitting in 30 plus degrees the last few days. (South UK)

But, has anyone heard of this happening??? I have searched the net but found no other reports of this? I'm just after a 2nd opinion that we do not have vandals??!

If its the heat then anyway to prevent it from happening again? They seem to have bent back ok for now.

Sponsored Links
It has to be vandals. The level of heat required to warp to that extent would have the paint off as well!

For it to bend would require it to be bi-metallic sandwich. No I would be very dubious that any heat experienced by your car has caused this. Much more likely is that it's a little toe rag to blame.

food for though to back up the other comments.
Ford fiesta's have been sold in far hotter countries than ours.
and they use the same arms

ps how is the rear wiper arm?.

Sponsored Links
not so warm said:
ps how is the rear wiper arm?.

The rear was fine. I'm sure you are all right - just trying not to think the worst in people!

When I went to bend it back I noticed it was almost too hot to touch and bent back easily. The next day when I went to do a final correction it was very much harder to bend back. I had thought that the bent part might have only had to bend slightly and it would touch the windscreen, heating it further and the spring pushing it against the glass would force it to continue to bend. There was a slight line which the rubber seemed to have "drawn" on the screen which seemed to further support this.

I have compared my arm against other cars in carparks and have not seen one as thin as mine.

Who knows. Nothing else has happened yet so time will tell.

P.S. I do have a solar trickle charger on the dash which may have reflected additional sunlight on the arms ??????????????????

Reading's near Hants. Uri Geller lives in Reading. Neighbours?

I had a similar problem last year when it was hot the paint bubbled on the bonnet as if someone had thrown something on it but it was hot :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Bastard neighbours ;)

jbonding said:
I had a similar problem last year when it was hot the paint bubbled on the bonnet as if someone had thrown something on it but it was hot :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: b*****d neighbours ;)
Allegedly ;)
A paper bag containing gel paintstripper works well, 'specially when lobbed from a vehicle at 30 mph or so..
Injecting brake fluid into the inlet manifold via the old Red-x vacuum guage flexy pipe worked on tail-gators - but did they ever know- or care?
:D

Sponsored Links
Back