Driving - when your senses prove right

A bell is a legal requirement when the bike is sold new.
According to the highway code fitting a bell is only "recommended"

Rule 63​

Sharing space with pedestrians, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles. When riding in places where sharing with pedestrians, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles is permitted, take care when passing pedestrians and horse riders, especially children, older adults or disabled people. Slow down when necessary and let them know you are there; for example, by ringing your bell (it is recommended that a bell is fitted to your bike), or by calling out politely.

Rule 66 also recommends that a bell is fitted.

Sponsored Links
two different things.

Retailers are required to ensure they are fitted when sold.

Then the sellers are being naughty, we have bells on all our bikes and use them frequently, I hate the ****s on the cycle paths who race up behind you and expect you to know someone is there, I'm pretty aware when pootling about with the sprogs etc but every now and then some idiot appears from nowhere, dicks.
I haven't bought a pushbike for twenty years, mind, so maybe it wasn't required to sell them equipped with a bell.

I would find it impossible to ride a bike without a bell, especially because I ride in parks and woods.
People walk in the middle of paths and sometimes 3 or for of them take the whole space.
I bought a box of 10 bells for £3 not long ago.

Sponsored Links
I would find it impossible to ride a bike without a bell, especially because I ride in parks and woods.
People walk in the middle of paths and sometimes 3 or for of them take the whole space.
I bought a box of 10 bells for £3 not long ago.
7azcnw3ztpQKhJLrxScDqV.jpg

We're a weird lot us humans. You could have someone who thinks it's fine to drive at excessive speeds, whether that's 30+ in a built up busy 20 zone or whatever. But I'd imagine if one of their nearest/dearest was seriously injured or killed by a speeding driver, they'd be beyond furious.

They've usually got the Baby on Board sticker in the window too.
Dangerous, oblivious, and sanctimonious.

The problem is that for people who have sadly lost loved ones, they are convinced the solution is lower speed limits. Even if the person who hit their family member was high as a kite in a stolen car. The issue will of course be the speed limit. They then join charities such as road peace and become road safety experts.

Our roads were some of the safest in the world when we had sensible limits as per the original guidance dot circular 1/81. Now speed limits are used as weapon to get people out of their cars. Fine if you have a 2 mile commute to your council office, where you can wear sandals and dream of a world where everyone rode recumbent bicycles, but plenty of people do jobs that involve driving, lugging cr@p or who have their lives government by time on arrival KPIs

Sponsored Links
Back