driving standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they getting worse?

I have been travelling further than usual to work just recently, a 25 mile run along the A1M, M18, M1 and Sheffield parkway. I have hated most of this driving. I am not used to this type of driving.

A few examples:

1. Travelling down the A1, about half a mile before the M18 turnoff. Traffic wasnt light, moving at about 40mph in lane 1, about 60 in lane 2. I was fairly close to the car in front, and a van squeezed into the gap. I say squeezed, because he caused me to brake. This was bad enough. The car behind me saw this, flashed his lights, and angrily sped past me and the van, and shoved in front of the van at the 300m marker, as "revenge?". I couldnt believe my eyes.

2. Coming off the M1S onto the Sheffield parkway, its a left turn, exit 1 of the roundabout. Both lanes of the sliproad can lead onto the parkway. I was in the left behind a lorry. The right lane was empty (I dont like using it because its quite narrow here). Just as I and the lorry exited the RA, I decided to overtake him, I put on my signal and looked in my mirror, just in time to see a Skoda flying round the corner off the roundabout at about 50mph. I had started to turn out, and had to jerk back in when I saw him. Had I started my manoeuvre and pulled out, he would have had to brake very sharply, and probably hit me.

3. On a single carriageway road close to my house in a small town centre, A van parked on the right pulled out in front of me and into the road-end opposite, to turn around. He caused me to brake and appeared to be stopping in the road end, waiting to pull out into the traffic on my side. I think he expected me to let him out. I didnt. The car behind me let him out. I might have done the same, but he caused me to brake. I wasnt slowing down further to let him out. Anyway, he was now behind me, so he decided to vent his frustration at me by following very closely with full beam lights on, weaving from side to side. This actually scared me, he was very close. Anyway, I turned off ahead and he carried on.

People not signalling to change lanes on m-ways
People staying in the middle lane of m-ways
People not signalling to exit/enter m-ways

Why are people getting more and more inconsiderate behind the wheel?

Sponsored Links
I drove down the m1 every day for 6 years! Thats what i encountered every day! The best one was when in 3 lanes of stationary traffic a suzuki jeep pulled out anddrove down between stationary cars taking off wing mirrors left and right! Never seen anything like it!
Now living back in London and dont have to contend with that, but the sunday drivers on there way to dhurch are even worse, there is just no consideration at all on the roads! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I was taught to believe that every other road user was an idiot and an accident waiting to happen as I was the only sensible driver out there.

And its true! The number of accidents I see in my rear view mirror is unbelievable! Just glad I am always just ahead of them when they happen!

Everyone seems to do the things you mention but they are just part and parcel of the kind of isolated incidents you get all the time anyway , high traffic volumes people squeezing in etc,

However what really really really annoys me are not the people rushing too fast to get where they are going and sod everyone else because you can predict and avoid them.

The problem that gets me mad is following someone down a normal A road at 50 - 60 mph when the car in front for no apparent reason suddenly slows to around 40mph and then seems to weave from one side of the road to the other BECAUSE THE PLANK HAS JUST DECIDED TO ANSWER HIS BLOODY PHONE!!!!!! :evil:

we should all treat driving as a game you enter, where the rules are...

1. it will appear normal usually...
2. weird things WILL happen
3. don't trust anyone
4. you and your passengers COULD QUITE EASILY DIE AT ANY MOMENT!!!!!!

So drive as if every one else is drunk !!!! it's worked for me so far !!

3. don't trust anyone

What? Driving while drunk??? :eek:

3. don't trust anyone

What? Driving while drunk??? :eek:

no you twonk !!! .... assuming everyone else is though !!!

I think the biggest problem on the road these days is the drivers who just don't plan their journey. The people who know it will take them half an hour to get to work, and leave their house 20 minutes before they have to clock on.
Rush hours too have always intrigued me. Why don't businesses/factories etc try having staggered start times so there's not as much traffic on the roads , all at once?

I think the biggest problem on the road these days is the drivers who just don't plan their journey. The people who know it will take them half an hour to get to work, and leave their house 20 minutes before they have to clock on.
Rush hours too have always intrigued me. Why don't businesses/factories etc try having staggered start times so there's not as much traffic on the roads , all at once?

John i disagree, i think a huge problem is the differential between the different vehicle on the road, and then the difference in attitudes amongst drivers. Firstly, things like HGV's on a hill on a M-way.... they take up 2 lanes, really slowly.... and the whole things just about stops...

Then, young lad, souped up Scooby, and Daphne, popping the the library......

As for the rush hour.... the Sun rises, the news is on, the markets open,your customers are all up at the same time....you can't change any of that !!!

If you planned your journeys correctly. Got up and set off at the right time. Gave way when possible and stayed in the correct lanes then this would not happen.
But everyone thinks they have the right to any lane without looking nor indicating.
Zebra crossings are things to scare pedestrians. Wait till your child is hit by a **** on one and see how you feel about it.

No courtesy, no manners, no respect - sums up most drivers today.
Same as holding a door open for a lady, holding a lift door for someone. Assisting an elder in the shops or knocking to see if they are alright.

Where did respect go?

The standard of driving on the A1, M18 M1 around Donny isn't too bad, I shall be doing it today. It gets markedly worse the further south you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back