An amazing idea which would cost nowt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What about . . . using the overhead matrix signs on motorways to display helpful hints to drivers. For example, "USE LEFT LANE UNLESS OVERTAKING". Or "SIGNAL WHEN CHANGING LANES".

It seems to me that many drivers have forgotten these basics, and some reminders would be welcome.

Another idea that would cost a bit of money, is a permenant sign to combat a problem I see daily. On the M18, the left lane splits from the M18 to go down onto the A1 - leaving two lanes on the M18. There are signs warning of this lane departure one mile and half a mile back. Yet I see people joining the M18 4 miles back and immediately jump into the middle lane, and sit there, never rejoining the left lane when possible.

A sign reading "normal motorway lane rules until signs say otherwise" or similar, backed up by matrix signs as above, of which there are plenty on this road, might make these idiots think twice. The main issue is that one person does it, everyone else follows! I make a point of driving in the left lane a the same speed as them, but they are oblivious to it quite often.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Micilin, you are a genius.

Only the other week, I was travelling down the A1(m) toward the A630 Doncaster turnoff. Just after the A635 Barnsley turnoff, where I joined, both lanes ground to a halt, and there was nowt comin t'other way. Stuck for about 30 mins, when we eventually got moving, after a mile there had been accidents on BOTH sides of the road. Thankfully the accident on our side was minor, involving one car and the central crash barrier, but it would appear this smash also caused a multi-car pile up on the other side (or the other way around). They were lucky really, had it happened 200yds further along, one of more of them would have ended up in the river Don after plunging 50m from the viaduct over it. :eek:

Is this a joke thread?
They already do have text warning on those things.
I drive back from Sheffield to Nottingham late on tursday nights and there's always text up on those saying things like
"TAKE A BREAK"
"DO NOT LITTER"
"WORKMEN IN ROAD....SLOW!"
"DON'T HOG THE MIDDLE LANE"

etc etc

Is this a joke thread?
They already do have text warning on those things.

"WORKMEN IN ROAD....SLOW!"

etc etc

What the text should say is "SLOW WORKMEN IN ROAD."

Always seems to me I drive past roadworks on the motorway and see very little activity. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

HGVs - PLEASE LEAVE A GAP SO THAT I CAN GET OFF THE F***ING MOTORWAY.

On the M25:-
HGVs - YOU CAN NOW CLOG UP THE THIRD LANE ASWELL

INVISIBLE MEN WORKING IN ROAD

Micilin said:
"DON'T BOTHER HOLDING YOUR PHONE DOWN LOW --"

Are you sure it's their phones they're holding? :?: :?: :?:

Edit: Drat and double drat! Nige F beat me to it. :( :( :( But that reminds me. This is an actual quote from a rather famous book:

"-- or you can tie the non-driving party to their seat and work slowly." :eek: :eek: :eek: The mind boggles!

How about "DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE BEFORE MOVING OFF CLOSED LANES - OTHER DRIVERS HAVE BEEN QUEUING FOR A REASON AND YOU PUSHING IN MAKES YOU A RIGHT C%*T. THEIR TIME IS JUST AS VALUABLE AS YOURS, YOU W@NKER!!!)"

Or something like that? :mrgreen:

I think they should start putting the signs on the Rh side because I never get to see them because the HGV's are always in the way.

How about "DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE BEFORE MOVING OFF CLOSED LANES - OTHER DRIVERS HAVE BEEN QUEUING FOR A REASON AND YOU PUSHING IN MAKES YOU A RIGHT C%*T. THEIR TIME IS JUST AS VALUABLE AS YOURS, YOU W@NKER!!!)"

Or something like that? :mrgreen:

I am one of those ******s. :LOL:

Try reading the highway code and see if you can figure out how to merge in turn, very few can do it properly, about one percent from my experience.

Sponsored Links
Back