Another driving moan thread ...

No - I mean camera type approval - e.g. speed cameras.

On top of that you have the fact that bicycles aren't required to have them. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/35/made

So.. you've got to 1, make the law apply to them 2, make them have working speedos. 3 change the way speed cameras work, 4 require them to register and carry registration marks 5, require them to identify the rider under some sort of section 172 of the road traffic act, 6 have some sort of points system for a license that they don't need. 7 fight the cycle lobby who love speed camera and speed limits (for everyone else), 8 determine which speed limits you want to apply.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'll just leave this here.

What is ....driving @ the 40 speed limit along a twisty road and touching the brakes @ every bend yet not actually slowing at all ? P*55es off the tailgaters ;) ( have travelled the road for 40 years now )

What is ....driving @ the 40 speed limit along a twisty road and touching the brakes @ every bend yet not actually slowing at all ? P*55es off the tailgaters ;) ( have travelled the road for 40 years now )
This is the thing, within the law and highway code we're all entitled to drive the way we want. If I'm on the twisties myself I love going a bit faster than when I have passengers, however I still don't tailgate as it's a pet hate of mine. When on the twisties e.g. with my old mum, trying to have a reasonably leisurely drive along the coast, there is almost zero chance of doing this stress free as within x mins you're almost guaranteed to have a tw*t sitting a few feet off your rear bumper.

And before any of the tw*ts on here say anything, I don't mean trundling along at 30, I mean even when trying to doing ~50 it still ain't fast enough for the tailgaters.

Worth noting that Roadcraft does advise the close following position (shown as pre-overtake below) as part of a 3 stage overtake. So if someone (properly trained) is looking to get round you, they will be reducing their time exposed to danger (and yours) by using the close following position briefly before moving to the off side. Its from the off-side, that the driver should decide if its safe to overtake.

overtakes.jpg

Sponsored Links

That might be 'comfort braking' - where the driver just feels a little uncomfortable of the speed they are doing on the approach to a hazard, so just touching the brakes, gives them some confidence and comfort.

Worth noting that Roadcraft does advise the close following position (shown as pre-overtake below) as part of a 3 stage overtake. So if someone (properly trained) is looking to get round you, they will be reducing their time exposed to danger (and yours) by using the close following position briefly before moving to the off side. Its from the off-side, that the driver should decide if its safe to overtake.

overtakes.jpg

Oooh no, I wouldn't be a doin of tha.

When the bike's at the red arrowed point, it's probably in a blind spot, and the bike can't see the road just past the vehicle, esp if it's a van. The oncoming driver might not see the bike past a van either.
I'd take the bike out earlier, to the green cross/spot then accelerate in a straight line if clear.
It would be easier to get a bigger speed advantage over the car, which, if driven by a nob, might otherwise accelerate to jam you up against the oncoming vehicle.
Lots of these nobs about, see.
1664213168815.png

Indeed, it was a very disturbing and chilling post, could we be discussing killing or seriously injuring a stranger because they were riding a bike too fast. Sadly it does not surprise me at all and is probably more common that I would like to believe. People do use their cars as weapons.

You keep deliberately misquoting to try to make things up.
You obviously don't mind looking stupid.
You must have psychological issues.

If I'm "the average car driver", half are worse than me. I doubt you can understand that.
So if I were you I'd stay off the road, because you just don't get how it works.
Nobody has misquoted you.
You posted a bizarre comment that suggests you are mentally unhinged.

When the bike's at the red arrowed point, it's probably in a blind spot, and the bike can't see the road just past the vehicle, esp if it's a van. The oncoming driver might not see the bike past a van either.
I'd take the bike out earlier, to the green cross/spot then accelerate in a straight line if clear.
It would be easier to get a bigger speed advantage over the car, which, if driven by a nob, might otherwise accelerate to jam you up against the oncoming vehicle.
View attachment 280699
Car driver racing a cyclist at any time = nob

One day I overtook him at about 35, just a bit more than him, and then braked, like you would if a dog ran out, so there was nowhere for him to pull out to pass a parked box van. I heard a shout and a crash, but he didn't hit me and had vanished from my rear view. Never saw him again

Whats puzzling me is why someone was doing about 35 in a 30 zone.
If the car was doing 30 and the cyclist doing 33/34 then just let the cyclist go. That way he gets out of your area and you continue to drive within the legal limit. Better to have an idiot in front than behind, every time.

Nobody has misquoted you.
You posted a bizarre comment that suggests you are mentally unhinged.
No, you misinterpreted like a troll will always try to do, so you could get off on it, and posted some crap which shows you're a troll. Jerk away, boy.
Whats puzzling me is why someone was doing about 35 in a 30 zone.
If the car was doing 30 and the cyclist doing 33/34 then just let the cyclist go. That way he gets out of your area and you continue to drive within the legal limit. Better to have an idiot in front than behind, every time.
People drive at about 35 all the time ;). The situation was nothing like you describe. You're the 4th person making things up!

Fatheadfred, you may have been alarmed, that doesn't mean it was alarming, it means you f'd up.

Sorry to disappoint, but I never mentioned standing on the brakes, brake testing him, or racing the cyclist, I didn't say the cyclist was simply going too fast. I did nothing violently, or extreme, or to try to kill him or hurt him.
I didn't imply anywhere it was funny to hurt cyclists, or that I hate cyclists. Nor have I backtracked.
Someone hasn't ridden a bike obviously, at 25-35mph. Easy peasy on a decent bike, but they had to imply I got it wrong. Troll.

That's at least half a dozen things trolls have made up. Pathetic.

If you don't think I've been misquoted, learn to read.

I tried to state it in the first place in a clear way to point out that I did it to be difficult on purpose, because he was always a pain, like I said. So again who's the nob here? You who got it wrong, on purpose.
He should have been able to brake, like he made everyone else on the commute do on a daily basis. He evidently couldn't. His mistake.

--
Say, I was doing say 30, he was in front going at a bit less, 25 or whatever over to the left a bit, and would have pulled out round the parked van, without checking behind him.
With me so far?

So when he went to pull out I was in his way, to be annoying. He'd have characteristically left it to the last car length, gone to pull out then realised he had nowhere to go.
Say he's doing 25mph. Two car lengths a second, So he has half a second to brake. At a speed delta of 5mph I'd be passing him for 3 seconds - plenty of scope for me without effort.
During all that time, he wouldn't be able to pull out because I was in the way. No accelerating and no braking required, though I think a bit of both happened; as I said, it was decades ago. I tried to state it above in a clear way to point out how it happened and that I did it on purpose.

Nothing frantic or uncommon though, which FatheadFredtheTroll and others are keen to make up.
So all I actually did was make him brake. If he had control of his bike he could have done so and come out behind me.

You must have seen it happen when cars hold another in a nearside lane behind a slow moving vehicle. Same thing but cars have better brakes. If the car in the inside lane goes slamming into the back of the truck, it's his fault. I've never seen that happen, worst is the car has to slow to the speed of the truck, though that may be from 70 to 30mph.

FHF why don't you model it in Powerpoint if you're genuine? Only takes 2 neurons and 2 minutes, + 1 to make it a movie you can post.
Of course if you only want to be a lying troll some more, f off back to the midden.

None of this matters to the point at hand. Cyclists who ride stupidly can expect to find themselves in difficulty - they need to ride defensively. It's not hard, we've all done it. I was wrong as I said - I put a little quiet effort into being difficult. But that motive doesn't help the cyclist. People do far worse, often, and it's the cyclist who has to accept and deal with it, by trying not to provoke people, for a start.

View attachment 280699
That's a two stage overtake. Suitable for when you don't need to adjust your speed to follow the target vehicle prior to overtaking.
The bit you're missing on the 3 stage method (and it took me a while for it to click too) is that you move up to the pre-overtake position when you have clear visibility in front of the target vehicle and always outside the danger zone (directly behind), you move to the overtake when its safe for you to be on the off-side. Only from the overtake position do you assess if its safe to go. It halves your overtaking space and the guy doing a 2 stage will be on to the next car before your 3 stager has opened his taps. Its only from position 2 that you assess if the overtake is on. You aren't adding extra stages you are doing half the job before the gap has opened up.

So lets get rid of the 30mph rules because people drive at 35mph all the time?
I don't. If the speed limit is 30mph I don't drive over 30mph, same with any other speed limit. I don't exceed it.
If you read your highway code, (even an old version), you will find it states something along the lines, "Be especially aware of other road users, including cyclists who may make unexpected manoeuvres, and be prepared to take action or stop." (The quotations are mine as I am paraphrasing.
Why don't you just man up and admit what you did was wrong? You have admitted you didn't care if he got hurt or how badly.
You are the dangerous one, not the cyclist.

He's not called Justin Passing for nothing. ;)

Seriously, I suspect that although the anecdote is probably based on a similar real incident, it was well packed out with Justin Passing's imagination about what he hoped had occurred.

There's plenty of such 'imaginary incidents' impersonating actual anecdotes in these threads.
It may be something to do with the male ego.

So lets get rid of the 30mph rules because people drive at 35mph all the time?
I don't. If the speed limit is 30mph I don't drive over 30mph, same with any other speed limit. I don't exceed it.
If you read your highway code, (even an old version), you will find it states something along the lines, "Be especially aware of other road users, including cyclists who may make unexpected manoeuvres, and be prepared to take action or stop." (The quotations are mine as I am paraphrasing.
Why don't you just man up and admit what you did was wrong? You have admitted you didn't care if he got hurt or how badly.
You are the dangerous one, not the cyclist.
There's everything wrong with that post.
"..So lets..." Nobody's suggesting that - except you.
"...I don't. If... " So what? What you do is irrelevant here. Help yourself and recognise what happens in the real world.
Highway code is irrelevant here.
"admit what you did ..." I already did about 3 times. I know it's maths you struggle with, but here you only need to count to 1.. You need to learn reading first.
"have admitted you didn't care" Nope. But we're discusing the cyclists' behaviour, not mine.
I think you're dangerous, as you clearly have severe cognitive disfunction and can't read road signs, but that's irrelevant to the point too.

Sponsored Links
Back