Another driving moan thread ...

Sponsored Links
I have many driving moans, one of which happened to me today.
It's actually a parking moan but here goes.
When parking at a supermarket, I like to park away from the other cars, in a space with no cars either side of me so that I can swing my doors open freely. Today, I parked in an Aldi at the farthest end of the car park, I was the only car in the row but when I got back there was a car either side of me and all the other spaces were still free.
How does that happen?

When parking at a supermarket, I like to park away from the other cars, in a space with no cars either side of me so that I can swing my doors open freely. Today, I parked in an Aldi at the farthest end of the car park, I was the only car in the row but when I got back there was a car either side of me and all the other spaces were still free.

Cars get lonely for company, just like people..

Sponsored Links
If someone tail gates me I stick to just under the speed limit, (28 in a 30, 38 in a 40 type of thing), and back off from the car in front. This creates a bigger gap so if the tailgater decides to go for it, there is a safe gap for him to drop in to if necessary and I will be dropping back as he goes past thereby creating a safe gap for me if he decides to be a pillock. No sense in slowing down to aggravate them as they may be driving a stolen car and just smash in to the side of you or get in front and do an emergency stop before speeding away.

If someone tail gates me I stick to just under the speed limit, (28 in a 30, 38 in a 40 type of thing), and back off from the car in front. This creates a bigger gap so if the tailgater decides to go for it, there is a safe gap for him to drop in to if necessary and I will be dropping back as he goes past thereby creating a safe gap for me if he decides to be a pillock. No sense in slowing down to aggravate them as they may be driving a stolen car and just smash in to the side of you or get in front and do an emergency stop before speeding away.
Someone tailgating is likely to cause an accident, accidents are less likely to hurt the slower you are going - so I think it is reasonable to slow down when someone starts to tailgate. Yes I understand it may annoy them, but then again it gives them more opportunities to pass. and getting them past has to be the lesser of the two evils.

When I was mid 20's , there was the same idiot cylist on my commute, very often. He'd ride at 25 - 35mph darting in and out of the traffic as it slowed and accelerated. You'd be braking and he'd cut in front of you so you had to emergency brake, and all that. Always getting beeped, annoying everyone.
One day I overtook him at about 35, just a bit more than him, and then braked, like you would if a dog ran out, so there was nowhere for him to pull out to pass a parked box van. I heard a shout and a crash, but he didn't hit me and had vanished from my rear view. Never saw him again.

If you píss people off enough, that's what someone will do, and it serves you right. So when you're on your maximum-vulnerability vehicle, whether it's your right or not, pushing it will get YOU hurt. So don't be a knob.
so was there a reason for braking violently, or where you trying to teach him a lesson ?

I have had people do that in front of me when driving a wagon, couldn't get passed cause the road was bendy, then when they do they slam the anchors on (brake check I think its called) are they trying to commit suicide or cause my load to shift ?

Seems excessive trying to injure someone because they either get in the way or because they are travellin faster. Folk behave strange when attached to a set of wheels.

I can't remember building sites when wheelbarrows were king - but did otherwise rational blokes go on whacky when in charge of one ?

So .... you're saying if someone annoys you it's ok to hurt them?
I didn't say anything like that. Don't make things up.
so was there a reason for braking violently, or where you trying to teach him a lesson ?
I didn't say anything about your "violently", you made that up!

You did that to be t***s on a forum, a bit like being difficult on the road.

I wasn't "trying" anything, that's missing the point. How much it was my fault doesn't help the cyclist. There wasn't a long thought process, People do things like I did just to be a bit difficult because they're provoked, end of. That day it was me.
You, are both inventing
On a forum someone like me just points out you're making things up , and you look silly.
On the road someone like me points out that you're riding a bike like a t*** and you're dead.

I just pressed the brake, and didn't leave a gap. No contact and all over in a few seconds. You'll see people doing things far more blatantly and aggressively if you're aware. I certainly didn't care if he got hurt, or how badly. I'm not unique, so If you're a mad cyclist, just know it's your neck you're playing with. Anyone who thinks people are going to protect them from their own stupidity, are plain naïve and shouldn't go on the road!

35 may be a bit over but he was going for it, and would pass you if you slowed a bit then try to cut in front as though you're obliged to let him. Cyclists do that all the time in slow traffic..

Australia has a sound system with their road trains. Even if you have right of way, you cede it if you can. Biggest gets priority. There's generally respect both sides - no worries.
Parts of the States are similar - you don't be a knob because it might earn you a bullet hole. Only in your car, if you're lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

You did that to be tw@s on a forum, a bit like being difficult on the road.

I wasn't "trying" anything, that's missing the point. How much it was my fault doesn't help the cyclist. There wasn't a long thought process, People do things like I did just to be a bit difficult because they're provoked, end of. That day it was me.
You, are both inventing
On a forum someone like me just points out you're making things up , and you look silly.
On the road someone like me points out that you're riding a bike like a tw@ and you're dead.

I just pressed the brake, and didn't leave a gap. No contact and all over in a few seconds. You'll see people doing things far more blatantly and aggressively if you're aware. I certainly didn't care if he got hurt, or how badly. I'm not unique, so If you're a mad cyclist, just know it's your neck you're playing with. Anyone who thinks people are going to protect them from their own stupidity, are plain naïve and shouldn't go on the road!

35 may be a bit over but he was going for it, and would pass you if you slowed a bit then try to cut in front as though you're obliged to let him. Cyclists do that all the time in slow traffic..

Australia has a sound system with their road trains. Even if you have right of way, you cede it if you can. Biggest gets priority. There's generally respect both sides - no worries.
Parts of the States are similar - you don't be a knob because it might earn you a bullet hole. Only in your car, if you're lucky.
So it was road rage

You really should not be driving.

You did that to be tw@s on a forum, a bit like being difficult on the 7th road.

You, are both inventing
On the road someone like me points out that you're riding a bike like a tw@ and you're dead.

I just pressed the brake, and didn't leave a gap. No contact and all over in a few seconds. You'll see people doing things far more blatantly and aggressively if you're aware. I certainly didn't care if he got hurt, or how badly.
Talk about backtracking....

One day I overtook him at about 35, just a bit more than him, and then braked, like you would if a dog ran out, so there was nowhere for him to pull out to pass a parked box van. I heard a shout and a crash, but he didn't hit me and had vanished from my rear view. Never saw him again

So it was road rage

You really should not be driving.
I agree and sounds like the average car driver who hates cyclists so much they actually believe its funny to physically injure them.
The guy sounds like hes got psychological issues

Sponsored Links
Back