Wireless roomstat for conventional boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have an Ideal Icos m3080 conventional boiler. Pumped CH + HW system is controlled by a British Gas UP1 programmer/controller with a Drayton RTS1 roomstat in the hall.

Due to a condensation problem around old aluminium glazed windows I have started running a dehumidifier in the hall (amazing how much water it sucks out of the air!). The problem is that the heat produced by the dehumidifier is playing havoc with the roomstat which is now useless. Moving the dehumidifier is not really an option so I am interested in getting a wireless roomstat. It would make sense at the same time to get a programable one and so a couple of questions......

1. Which stat?
Salus RT500RF = £40
Honeywell CMT927 = £115
British Gas Remote Heating Control = £230 installed
(Honeywell evohome kit looks very cool but could that ever be economically viable?)

2. Will it work?
My logic would be to simply replace the Drayton RTS1 with the wired-in part of the new thermostat. I am assuming that the above Salus and Honeywell will fit on the same backplate as the Drayton making installation idiot proof?

3. How to set it up.
The above would mean that the new programable thermostat is piggybacked onto the main programmer / time switch. Should I then
- leave the CH on all the time at the main unit and let the new programable thermostat do the switching or
- continue to let the main programmer control on/off times assuming that the new thermostat would just take control when the main unit is ON.

I hope that all makes sense!

TIA.

Sponsored Links
bg have currently got a offer on the "remote controls", its basically the same set up as the wireless controls but you can use a app on a smart phone or txt it to control ya ch. they are currently £150 fitted.

Hmm, that would seem the most sensible option. Is that the price for BG customers only though? I am currently provided by n-power.

Don't think so, your supplier wouldn't have any effect on a upgrade price anyway, being a homecare customer might do tho. Give um a ring and ask for a quote, but Iam 99% sure that would be the price.

Sponsored Links
British Gas Remote Heating control =
£150 if fitted with a boiler
£199 for BG customers
£229 for anyone else.

This does not provide remote control of hot water but according to the girl I spoke to this is in the pipeline.

So, £40 to do it myself or £229 for someone else to do it and get a snazzy user interface. At £150 I'd have been tempted but the Scottish blood in me makes the decision easy -> solus it is.

Has nobody else used this thermostat piggybacked to a conventional time clock?

OK, I have replaced the Drayton RTS1 with Salus RT500RF. Just one question:

Drayton had 3 wires: L, N, Switched Live
Salus requires 4 wires: L, N, COM, N/O

To combat this I have put a jumper between Live and COM. It seems to be working and no explosions - any reason this should not be done?

It seems to be working fine and with the main central heating programmer left ON, the Salus is now remotely controlling central heating ON/OFF.

TIA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back