Wiring a 16A oven into a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just checking if there is anyway round the following problem.

I've been altering some electrics in a kitchen (moving sockets etc) and whilst there the kitchen fitters were putting in 2 ovens into the cabinets, which they were just going to plug in. I checked the ovens and they both had a flex already on but no plug. Checked their consumption and one was at 2.85kw and one was 3.1kw. I told them they can get away with the first oven into a plug but not the second, it will need its own supply and ideally both have their own circuit.
There is a cooker circuit but that being used on an electric hob.
The problem is that this is an apartment with no access to run the cables and the kitchen is at one end of the apartment and the CU at the other end, and so running cables for the new circuits isn't an option.

Is there any way it can be run on the kitchen ring, or should i recommend they try and find some lower rated ovens.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
They could both be 'plugged in' (if the manufacturer has stated the 3.1kW @ 240V)

However, I think this is more a case of 'is the circuit capable of handling' and 'not going to be overloaded by' the extra demand.

It may be possible to fit them both to the hob circuit.

What is the kW rating of the hob?

What is the fuse/CB rating of the cooker circuit?

Please note that any electrical work done in a kitchen is notifiable.
So I hope you called your LABC before you started moving sockets around.

Any new fixed appliances over 2kW need their own circuit. I don't make the rules, but I guess it's to stop this sort of thing happening. The kitchen circuit will have the highest demand of any of your circuits anyway so shoving two ovens on it ain't going to help, even if they are the lowest rating you can find.

This is something that the electrician should have taken into account before designing the kitchen electrics and run new circuits accordingly.

I guess this isn't what you want to hear.

Part P as well.....

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it's not what he wants to hear, as he's the electrician.

I don't expect his customer will be too pleased either.

no not what i wanted to hear, but its what i thought. I was told it was having an electric hob and 1 plug in oven, so I'm going to blame it on the kitchen designers when i give my news to the customer.
Cheers

that is what i presumed as the manufacturer normally puts a plug on the oven when it is under 2kw.

As you're a member of a competent persons scheme, what do they say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back