Wiring a CD-changer connector for an MP3 player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched all over the internet, and even consulted the Autoleads catalogue... I also spoke to a bloke in Halfords, but he didn't seem to know his a**e from his elbow.

I have a standard fitment CD headunit in my 2001 Astra. This has the standard ISO connectors on it, including one for a CD-changer (that I don't have!).

Presumably, the audio signals coming from a CD-changer are normal line-level signals, coupled with a bidirectional data signal to let the two devices communicate.

Has anyone ever modified such a connector to allow it to be used as a standard stereo input (to use my Sony mp3 player)? I have seen some proprietary ones for specific brands of headunit (not mine: VDO Dayton), and also a couple of "mods" for manufacturer-specific cars (not mine, 2001 Vauxhall Astra).

The main problem I can envisage is that the headunit will see no cd-changer, thus won't switch to the input. This needs to be overcome somehow.

Oh, and there are no fitting kits available for my particular mp3 player...

Sponsored Links
To play your MP3 player through your stereo is fairly simple. What you need is something called an 'FM Modulator' - basically, this little unit connects in series with the aeriel plug. You go IN the unit with the existing aeriel plug and there is an output plug to go into your stereo. Also on the Modulator unit is a power and a audio input, in the form of Phono leads. Basically, anything you put into those phono leads will be set as a 'frequency' and you just tune one of the 'radio-station' buttons to that frequency. This way, anytime you want to play music through your stereo, you just plug your player in, and hit the right stereo button.

An example unit is here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44128&TabID=1&source=27&doy=search

Simple... unless this ISN'T what you're after, of course... :p

Regards,

Luke.

Cheers Luke! :D

Thing is, I've already tried an FM modulator... it was an iTrip with an iPod. The sound quality was pretty decent, which was in itself surprising. I've read reviews where people claim FM modulators are too quiet, they hear interference and so on. Perhaps they are using dodgy ones, or maybe they have rubbish stereos.

Whilst they are a great idea e.g. if you are going on a roadtrip in someone else's car, I feel it would be cheating to use one permanently! :D

Sponsored Links
In no way is an FM Modulator 'cheating'.. ;) Many people use them permanently, although I can see where you're coming from. The one from Maplin has a good write-up, however, if you're interested.

Back