Wiring a Dimmer Switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace the two gang switch in my kitchen with a 2 gang dimmer. One of the lights can be controlled from 2 locations so I have bought a 2 way 2 gang dimmer. The dimmer has 3 connections C, L1 & L2.

When I removed the current 2 gang switch there is L1, L2, and L3 and no common. My question is is the L3 being used as the common? On the top connections only L1 & L2 are in used but on the bottom all 3 are in use. The black cable is going into L2 on the bottom and brown cables into the rest, although the cable going into L3 on the bottom is a slightly lighter brown (not sure if that makes a difference)

My other question is how do I know which set of L1, L2 & L3 control which light? Is the top set the first gang and the bottom set the second gang? Just so I can make sure its the same configuration on the new dimmer.

View media item 41351
View media item 41352

Sponsored Links
37000_36058_14134_19716599_thumb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back