Wiring a new built under electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a new double oven (electrical connection 4.3kW; consumption 0.79kW per oven). This replaces a Neff single oven. On looking at the electrics, there is the main red power switch on the kitchen wall, which wires in behind the oven on the wall. Next to that box is a second blank box but with a 13A fuse in it. Is that fuse OK under the circumstanmces. There has been no probs during the 10 years that we have had the Neff.

Adding to this message. The old Neff is rated at 2.8kW. It is fine, but wifey wants a change! The gas hob is hard wired into a circuit behind a blank plate behind the oven. The oven goes through a 13A plate next to the other plate. Could I simply change the plates around so that the hob electrics go through the 13A plate and the oven is hard wired behind the blank plate? I empasise that I would not move the wiring, simply swap the two plates. With the oven thus hard wired, will it be Ok without any fuse. There is the main 'red' wall switch and the independant trip switch at the main trip box.

Sponsored Links
What do the manufacturer's instructions say on the subject?

What was the rating of your old oven?

Sponsored Links
I am about to install a new double oven (electrical connection 4.3kW; consumption 0.79kW per oven).
The 0.79kW is a standard consumption rating. All cookers currently on sale meet this standard because it's the threshold between class A and class B for energy consumption.

It's measured by cooking a standard brick for an hour, thus the consumption is kWh per hour, dimensionally the same as kW.

It's measured by cooking a standard brick for an hour, thus the consumption is kWh per hour, dimensionally the same as kW.
No - it's the total amount of energy used in a cooking cycle, not an amount used over a given time. Actually it's a composite of more than one test - one is raising the temperature of a saturated wet brick from 5°C to 60°C.

Say that was the only test, and the oven needed 0.79kWh to do it, but it managed to get the brick to that temperature in 1 minute you'd be looking at a 47.4kW oven. (Assuming no losses).

The kWh figures are useful to compare different ovens and get an idea of which will have higher/lower running costs, but SFA use to tell you what the electrical load of the oven is.

When designing the installation the only rating of interest is the maximum current the unit can take. The figure of how many Kilowatt Hours are needed to cook something are of no interest in that exercise.

As BAS says only a very low number of Kilowatt Hours may be needed to cook something ( a very efficient oven ) but if the time to cook is short then the Kilowatts being used during the cooking could be very high and that high current requirement is the important factor in the design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back