wiring a timed extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! If you read this Breezer, can you reply as I have read a bit about extractor fans written by you and I have a few questions on some things I didn't quite understand.

I have nearly completed an ensuite and want to deal with the ventilation now. I have a timed extractor fan which I want activated when the light is turned on.

When I wired the lighting to the ensuite I cut into the lighting ring and added a 20 amp 4 way JB. From the JB the lighting is supplied as per guidance I received here and from other sources. Now, I want to add the extractor fan but not too sure how to correctly do this and the manufactures instructions are not too clear.

As a timed fan requires a L, SL and N conductor, how best can I do this? Can I source this from the JB which serves the light as that has a SL, PL and N etc. If so, then how do I correctly wire this through a 3amp DP before connecting to the fan? Have you got a wiring diagram, as a picture can often be a lot clearer?

Thanks for you advice.

Sponsored Links
You will require a 3 pole fan isolator and not a 3amp DP Switch.
Use some 3 core twin and earth from your junction box and
wire to your 3 pole isolator:-

Brown - permanent Live = L1
Black - Switched Live ( sleeve Brown ) = L2
Grey - Neutral ( sleeve Blue ) =N

Then take another 3 core twin and earth ( or 4 core flex ) from outgoing side of isolator and connect to fan as :-

Brown - L
Black - T ( timer )
Blue - N ( neutral )

continue earths as required

Hope this helps a little :)

Sponsored Links
Or this one with the missing cpc added, DP pull cord to Junction box.
electrics:lighting:plugwashed.jpg

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back