Wiring in 2nd extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Adding in an ensuite, need to add in an extractor fan. There is an extractor fan in another bathroom within the same loft and pretty close to the new fan location. Can I simply T off the wiring from the current fan for the new fan?

Other option is to t off the cable that feeds the transformer for one of the led ceiling lights.

Which is the best option?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ideally you should forget about tapping into the existing bathroom fan wiring, and get your supply from the new ensuite light wiring.

How are you planning to do the extract ducting?

Ideally you should forget about tapping into the existing bathroom fan wiring, and get your supply from the new ensuite light wiring.

How are you planning to do the extract ducting?
Yes, the light wiring would be easier from a practical point if view as well.

For the ducting I was going to use a y piece on the existing ducting, with 2 backdraught excluders (1 for each fan).

For the ducting I was going to use a y piece on the existing ducting, with 2 backdraught excluders (1 for each fan).
That won't work.
Forcing air from 2 different extractors into a single duct will at best result in significantly lower performance for each. Worst will be one overpowers the other and only one will do anything, and even that will still be worse than if on it's own duct.

transformer for one of the led ceiling lights.
Why are you installing transformers for the lighting? It's 2023, not 1993.

All of the work is notifiable to building control, and you shouldn't be asking these kinds of questions if you were competent to do it.

That won't work.
Forcing air from 2 different extractors into a single duct will at best result in significantly lower performance for each. Worst will be one overpowers the other and only one will do anything, and even that will still be worse than if on it's own duct.
Only if they are on at the same time though right? If only used one at a time then they won't be competing. There is only me and my wife in the house, and no kids now or in the future.

The third bathroom (for guests has its own separate fan) so no issue when we have people over either.

Why are you installing transformers for the lighting? It's 2023, not 1993.

All of the work is notifiable to building control, and you shouldn't be asking these kinds of questions if you were competent to do it.
Led drivers, commonly referred to as driver transformers have been used on the spotlights. I did not do the lighting, it was done by an electrician by the previous owners when they did the extension. We have all relevant certificates for building regs for this and all other work done.

Just finding out the correct ways to do things especially if there is some aspect of building regs etch that have to be taken into account that I am not aware of. Actually splicing some wires and putting in the physical fan isn't rocket science, ensuring it is done the best way is what I am trying to make sure of.

Yes, the light wiring would be easier from a practical point if view as well.

You say you want the new fan to be on a timer (as well as humidistat). So you'll need to get the supply from the new ensuite wiring.

Don't even bother trying to connect into the existing ducting. It won't work. You need to run a new separate ducting all the way to the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back