Wiring a wooden summer house - advice appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a summer- house in my garden and would appreciate some advice re. wiring it up. I need to have a couple of lights, and a couple of sockets. The most I will run is a small electric heater.

I plan to run the feed to the summer house from my garage using a catenary. Burying the cable isn't practical. My house/garage install doesn't have an RCD at all so now might be a good time to fit one somewhere along the way.

What's the best way to do the wiring within the outbuilding. I wasn't sure whether to go for plastic trunking with T&E inside or just clipping up cable. Given the location should I be using proper IP stuff or is that going too far?

Anything I might have missed / not considered? Earthing always seems a contentious subject. Is simply running an earth from the consumer unit in the garage acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to burst your bubble,BUT This work is notifiable and you would be better talking to a registered electrician, who would know exactly what to do and save you money at the same time.

Yes, well, lots of things are notifiable. Doesn't really help me much but thanks for your input anyway.

Sponsored Links
Yes, well, lots of things are notifiable. Doesn't really help me much but thanks for your input anyway.

Out of interest, do you fiddle with gas?

Strange you should ask, actually. I would say several time a week on average. Not the answer you were hoping for I would imagine :evil:

I just asked what the best way was to wire a wooden outbuilding from another outbuilding. I suspect I have the skills and intelligence to do it but I haven't actually done that particular job before (they don't let me out much). I want to do it properly and inline with the relevant regs.

I will confirm the situation with notification (in Scotland in this case). I was aware that would probably be an issue.

Thanks!

In that case, use SWR of about 4.00mm underground if poss or at least 9ft high on a steel cat wire. Fit a RCD in the main FCU or an RCBO

You need to provide mechanical protection to cables within the cabin.

You will have to provide RCD protection.

If you arnt careful about mini trunking it will snake on the wall and smash accessories when the log cabin contracts, they move loads and loads.

You need to provide mechanical protection to cables within the cabin.

You will have to provide RCD protection.

If you arnt careful about mini trunking it will snake on the wall and smash accessories when the log cabin contracts, they move loads and loads.

It was this kind of thing I was concerned about - movement and dampness. Is circular/oval plastic trunking a better idea or should I just go mad and do the whole job in SWA?

I'll need to change the c/u in the garage. It's doesn't have an RCD currently which is a bit mental for a garage I think.

Cheers...

I'd be inclined to go with round PVC conduit and pull singles. It's easier to keep neat than multiple SWA runs, and is not likely to take any more time and effort to install if you take into account all the ends you'd have to make off if running everything with SWA.

If expansion and contraction is likely to be problem, then it's easy to make provision for it at the couplings.

It's doesn't have an RCD currently which is a bit mental for a garage I think.

It's not that long ago that few houses had RCD protection on any circuits, unless a TT system.

I'd be inclined to go with round PVC conduit and pull singles. It's easier to keep neat than multiple SWA runs, and is not likely to take any more time and effort to install if you take into account all the ends you'd have to make off if running everything with SWA.

I don't know, I quite like that feeling of proper engineering you get with SWA :LOL:

SWA is very time consuming to gland off and it will look pants in your nice new cabin.

If you want to be a purist, I would go for MI

Quite honestly, round conduit is the better way, it will give you flexibility to change and add fairly easily at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back