Wiring an outside light - HELP NEEDED!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a complete electrics novice and need urgent help. I'll try to explain this as best as possible, but excuse an incorrect terminology.

Project: wire in new exterior light which can be switched on by an internal light switch, but which is also activated by an exterior motion sensor switch (separate unit to the light).

Wiring:

Exterior Wiring (1 wire):
RED WIRE
BLACK WIRE
BLACK WIRE

Motion Sensor:
2 wires - one with BLACK and RED wire and another just with RED

Interior light switch - just BLACK and RED wires

I have tried everything that I can think of, but so far the best I have achieved is the light being on all the time.

I've even tried just wiring the light without the motion sensor, but even that just stays on?

Can anyone help me and save me from paying an electrician to do something which'll take them 2 minutes.

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
red, black and black in one wire? that sounds dodgy.. some gimp has sleeved the earth as a black wire..?

post photo's.. it'll be much easier for us to decipher if we can see th problem..

clear and in focus ( use macro mode ) and a few of each from different angles ( so nothing is hidden behind something else.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back