Security Light - Indoor On Off Switch - How to get it to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced an old halogen security light with an LED. Motion sensor operated and also operated by an indoor on/off light switch. But now the indoor on/off switch doesn't work. Not surprising as the LED doesn't have a corresponding black wire. Otherwise LED is working as normal.

Is there anything I can do to get the on/off switch to work?

The LED is motion sensor, is a sealed unit, has the usual 3 wires: earth, live and neutral.
I've joined the LED to the existing supply wire which has earth, live, neutral and a black wire. But the black wire is just attached to an empty junction (don't know what to call it?).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Presumably with your old light the internal switch overrode the PIR so the light was on permanently?
If so then no there's no way to replicate that functionality with your new LED lamp.
Options;
Get a separate motion sensor and a non-pir floodlight
Get a different type of led pir flood (on some of them the detector output can be accessed)
Put your old halogen lamp back up with an LED lamp in it

A lot of PIR floods have what is called pulse over-ride. This works so that you can command the light to be on permanently by switching the power off and then on again.
Does your light have this function? if not then, I am afraid
there's no way to replicate that functionality with your new LED lamp

A lot of PIR floods have what is called pulse over-ride. This works so that you can command the light to be on permanently by switching the power off and then on again.
Does your light have this function? if not then, I am afraid
Good point, none of the 4 modern led ones i've bought have had this feature, all the old tungsten pir floods i've encountered did have it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back