wiring checking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Conventional indirect system. No HW, CH OK. Three port motorised valve. I suspect the valve needs replacing, but, before i touch anything, i would like to check the wiring connections first, since my room stat is playing funny as well, in the sense that when i manually turn the wall stat to zero, the CH does not switch off. Can you please tell me what you check and how you check the wiring connections with a multimeter? And also, at the first sight, i can you tell if a three port valve is mid-position or just diverter??
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
trace the wire from the valve to wiring centre. undo cover on wiring centre....leave power on and stand in bucket of water whilst doing this.
....if you want, but may as well turn off ch fused spur.
anyway if there are three wires within said cable..its a diverter . if 5 its mid pos.

sounds like your valve head is knadgered. what make is it? shiny metal box or white plastic?

:p

wilhelm said:
trace the wire from the valve to wiring centre. undo cover on wiring centre....leave power on and stand in bucket of water whilst doing this.
....if you want, but may as well turn off ch fused spur.
anyway if there are three wires within said cable..its a diverter . if 5 its mid pos.

sounds like your valve head is knadgered. what make is it? shiny metal box or white plastic?

:p
Shiny metal. As i said, i have also probs with CH.if i turn off CH via Wall stat,it does not switch off. The only way of switching it off is via the programmer.How can i check with multimeter if all connections to valve, room stat and pump are OK?? Please, step by step instruction> Thank u.

well remove roomstat cover and ....with power off. avo set to ohms or buzzer, check by tuning the knob, it is actually swithching? on and off.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your motorised valve is stuck open in the central heating position. With the programmer set to hot water only you should have power to the cylinder stat, and from that to the same connection as the orange from the valve. When you turn the cylinder stat down you should get power on the grey to the motorised valve. With the heating on at the programmer and the room stat turned up you should have power on the white wire, which is lost when the room stat is turned down.

If you have a honeywell valve, it may be worth removing the synchron motor, and seeing if the valve returns freely on it's spring. If this is the case then replacing the synchron motor should be sufficient.

If the valve is not a honeywell or does not return freely then the whole valve will probably need replacing

If the motorised valve is stuck in the central heating position then the boiler will fire to heat the hot water, but sending the heat to the radiators, thus never satisfying the cylinder stat

aaronhoughton1978 said:
It sounds as if your motorised valve is stuck open in the central heating position. With the programmer set to hot water only you should have power to the cylinder stat, and from that to the same connection as the orange from the valve. When you turn the cylinder stat down you should get power on the grey to the motorised valve. With the heating on at the programmer and the room stat turned up you should have power on the white wire, which is lost when the room stat is turned down.

If you have a honeywell valve, it may be worth removing the synchron motor, and seeing if the valve returns freely on it's spring. If this is the case then replacing the synchron motor should be sufficient.

If the valve is not a honeywell or does not return freely then the whole valve will probably need replacing

If the motorised valve is stuck in the central heating position then the boiler will fire to heat the hot water, but sending the heat to the radiators, thus never satisfying the cylinder stat
Hi,and thanks 4 your reply. So you are saying that if i call 4 HW and the radiators go hot instead of HWcylinder,then i would know 4 sure that the valve is stuck in the HW port??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back