Wiring Circuit Cofusion!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help with this puzzler, I was going to put up a new ceiling light for my mate after he had taken the old one down and got confused with the wires left and now I have seen it, I am also puzzled.
The wires coming through the ceiling are:
1x 1.5 main feed
1x 1.5 coming from the light switch
1 x single core coming from the light switch
1x single core going on somewhere else.
at the light switch the 1.5 cable is wired:
red into L1 and black into L2
with the single core into COMM
Could anyone please give any advice
Thanking in advance.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like it might be one switch of a 2-switch arrangement (as usually used in hall/landing) and the 2nd switch has been disconnected/removed. Is this possible?

What colour are the singles, by the way?

You don't mention any Earth cores - are there any?

If you just want the one switch to work, disconnect and insulate the singles, move the black at the switch into COM (and sleeve it red at both ends, as it is switched live, not neutral) and then wire it as a normal light:

Incoming Neutral to one side of the light
Incoming Live to the red core going to the switch
Black--sleeved-red core from the switch to the other side of the light

If there is another switch involved, the single coming from it may be live, but without the red/black pair from the first switch going to it, I can't see how!

Cheers,

Howard

Thanks Howard for your help

The single cable has a grey outer sheath and a red inner.
There is no earth, and this is a single light switch in a bedroom, I Cannot see it have been anything else.
I did think of changing it to the way you have suggested, but I was little concernd with this single cable and what its doing, as seems to go off to somewhere else and was wired into the switch under COMMS?
Regards
Carl

fullwood said:
Thanks Howard for your help

The single cable has a grey outer sheath and a red inner.
There is no earth, and this is a single light switch in a bedroom, I Cannot see it have been anything else.
I did think of changing it to the way you have suggested, but I was little concernd with this single cable and what its doing, as seems to go off to somewhere else and was wired into the switch under COMMS?
That's what you'd expect with 2-way switching. the single from one switch would come from the Live, the single from the other switch would go to one side of the light, and the black & red pair would connect the L1, L2 of both switches (you can look this up in the Sticky messages at the top of this forum).

Could there have been a dangly switch or a pullswitch over the bed (look for evidence of something having been removed from the ceiling)? My bedroom has this - a wall switch by the door and a pullswitch over the bed, and obviously these use 2-way switching wired as above.

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
Thank you Howard

There was an old pull switch in the room at sometime, mystry solved.

Thanking you again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back