Wiring a 2 way 2 gang light switch HELP NEEDED.

THANK YOU for all your help / advice.
I think I am just going to live with the configuration I have, & just put up with not being able to turn the main hall light off / on via the switch by the street door.
All seems ok other than that, no sparks / smoke / shocks, & have been at it for nearly 6 hours & am losing the light, not to mention the will to live.
As long as it don't now shock someone / burn the house down, I will accept it until such time as it either pees me off way to much, or I can afford to call out an electrician.
So once again A BIG T H A N K - Y O U - :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
What you have is 2 x 2 way switches (Landing/main hall(switching landing light) and main hall/outside hall(switching main hall light)) and I x 1 way outside hall. Look in the Wiki and you should be able to work it out.

So where am I going wrong now?
Same as before - deciding to start fiddling with things you don't actually understand.

I'm not saying this to score points or anything - when it comes to electrical work, you must, absolutely must have a full and genuine understanding of how it works, and what you are doing, and why.

Doing it on the basis of just following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole but without truly knowing why is a very bad idea.

It is essential to know how lighting circuits are wired.
It is essential to know how 2-way switching works.
It is essential to know what switches do inside.
It is essential to have, and know how to use, a multimeter.

PLEASE take a step back and do some learning before any more doing.

THANK YOU for all your help / advice.
I think I am just going to live with the configuration I have, & just put up with not being able to turn the main hall light off / on via the switch by the street door.
All seems ok other than that, no sparks / smoke / shocks, & have been at it for nearly 6 hours & am losing the light, not to mention the will to live.
As long as it don't now shock someone / burn the house down, I will accept it until such time as it either pees me off way to much, or I can afford to call out an electrician.
So once again A BIG T H A N K - Y O U - :D :D :D :D :D

You are not allowed as a fully fledged member of "DIYnot!" top give up that easy.

Sponsored Links
image-6-for-katie-price-s-new-book-launch-gallery-929906462.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back