wiring colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anybody tell me when the present coloured cable (brown/Blue) was available for purchase by the trade. I did some wiring in the middle of 2004 but I am now being told that I could not have got the cable prior to Jan 2005. Has dementia finally got the better of me?

Sponsored Links
The transistion period between the colour codes was april '04 to april '06 , the cable makers produce new colour cable from the start of this period, but depending on how much stock was left in the supply chain, depening on the outlet it was bought from, it might have taken a few months to filter through

you were allowed to use them from sometime in 2004 by BS7671 but they weren't easilly availible at this time.

maybe you just used a wholesaler who was unusually proactive or something.

My regular wholesaler stocked only new colours from April 2004. You could still get red and black in B & Q locally until about February this year.

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
My regular wholesaler stocked only new colours from April 2004. You could still get red and black in B & Q locally until about February this year.

There are rumours of a black market in old-colour cable for people who have a time machine to go back and do the work in 2004.

Hypnoman said:
Hi,
Can anybody tell me when the present coloured cable (brown/Blue) was available for purchase by the trade. I did some wiring in the middle of 2004 but I am now being told that I could not have got the cable prior to Jan 2005. Has dementia finally got the better of me?

Or are you trying to prove that the wiring was done prior to Jan 2005.?

JohnD said:
There are rumours of a black market in old-colour cable for people who have a time machine to go back and do the work in 2004.
Is it truly a black market, JohnD, or is it still legal to sell/buy cable in the old colours?

Softus said:
Is it truly a black market, JohnD, or is it still legal to sell/buy cable in the old colours?

No, its just a deviation to BS7671 to install it now, I suppose technically its a red and black market :LOL:

:LOL: ;) :LOL:

well, my houes is all done in red and black, so I have a part-reel of 1.5 and 2.5, I think having two standards would bring needless complication.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back