Wire and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yesterday i purchased what i thought was SWA 1.5mm lighting cable, to use for outdoor switch. The cable colours are, Brown, black and Grey. i take this to be L1, L2 and L3 and that athese present red, yellow and Blue. Am i mistaken or have they sold me the worng cable. I should have got Brown, Blue and the earth. I know i can use the cables as any color as long as i mark them up, but i really think that is bad, if that is the case.

Switch:
I got an outdoor weatherproof switch labelled 1 and L, i take 1 to be the switched live and L to be the live feed. This is correct as no diagram included. the switch is one gang one way.

Would anyone offer an opinion in how they would lable the cable up and what colours they would use for L, N and E given my colours above.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want to use 3 core SWA for single phase, sleeve the black as earth and the grey as neutral

andemz said:
yesterday i purchased what i thought was SWA 1.5mm lighting cable, to use for outdoor switch. The cable colours are, Brown, black and Grey. i take this to be L1, L2 and L3 and that athese present red, yellow and Blue. Am i mistaken or have they sold me the worng cable. I should have got Brown, Blue and the earth. I know i can use the cables as any color as long as i mark them up, but i really think that is bad, if that is the case.
3-core SWA never has an earth core - it's always just had the phase colours - if you'd bought pre-harmonisation stuff it would have been red, yellow & blue, not red, black & G/Y, so what would you have done then?

Switch:
I got an outdoor weatherproof switch labelled 1 and L, i take 1 to be the switched live and L to be the live feed. This is correct as no diagram included. the switch is one gang one way.
If it's a 1-way switch, it doesn't matter....

Sponsored Links
andemz said:
i take this to be L1, L2 and L3 and that athese present red, yellow and Blue. Am i mistaken or have they sold me the worng cable. I should have got Brown, Blue and the earth. I know i can use the cables as any color as long as i mark them up, but i really think that is bad, if that is the case.

while you can get 3 core SWA with single phase colors its rare and expensive so re-marking the stuff designed for 3 phase is the norm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back